Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    It's a great carrier and has a long life
    This was not our experience.

Agnes outgrew the Ergo right at one year. She loved leaning back and the panel didn't come up high enough to contain her, so it killed my back!

I did a ton of research (natch) and ended up with a toddler size Tula. It was huge for a few months, and oddly, she preferred to ride "arms in," so no leaning. Ours is a wrap conversion so $$$, but the canvas ones are more reasonable, and the standard size (what you'd need) is cheaper still. They come in the cutest prints, too.

I prefer wraps to SSCs and mei teis because they're so versatile. Unfortunately, Agnes hates being wrapped now.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 1mom2dylan View Post
    I am thinking of giving this as a gift to a coworker who recently had a baby. My concern is that they registered for a Bjorn, but I know from experience that the ergo would be so much better. I'm not sure if I should get this ergo (the stacking coupons would make it a great deal) along with a gift receipt or just give them a gift card. They are first time parents, so I don't think they have experience with carriers. I had the regular ergo and loved it and from the reviews it seems this performance one is even better. What do you all think?
    I haven't tried the Ergo yet, so I can't comment specifically on that. Ergos are generally regarded as good carriers, although as Queenmama pointed out, different parents and babies have different experiences. I think it would make a great gift though! And if you get it from Target and give with a gift receipt, the family can return if they aren't happy. Bjorns are not good for hip development but many parents who are unaware of this use them because of the forward-facing-out position. They're still not great for that. You might want to look at gifting the Pikkolo if you think the family will want a forward facing option.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

meljc is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I haven't tried the Ergo yet, so I can't comment specifically on that. Ergos are generally regarded as good carriers, although as Queenmama pointed out, different parents and babies have different experiences. I think it would make a great gift though! And if you get it from Target and give with a gift receipt, the family can return if they aren't happy. Bjorns are not good for hip development but many parents who are unaware of this use them because of the forward-facing-out position. They're still not great for that. You might want to look at gifting the Pikkolo if you think the family will want a forward facing option.
    I second that. And, unlike the Ergo, Pikkolo can be used from birth without an insert. I also find it easier to nurse in. Since this family registered for a Bjorn, they probably aren't worried about toddler wearing, meaning you can skip the (horrible, bulky) support belt as an add-on for the Pikkolo. If you buy from Amazon it should be returnable. However... you might want to talk to the mama and say "Hey, I was doing some research and came across this baby carrier that might be awesome for you!" and describe why. That would probably go over better than just getting something different than what she registered for.

(I actually have both an Ergo classic and stowaway. DH and I both MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the stowaway. However, we have no intention of using it until the upcoming newbie is able to ride without the insert.)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by queenmama View Post
    This was not our experience.

Agnes outgrew the Ergo right at one year. She loved leaning back and the panel didn't come up high enough to contain her, so it killed my back!

I did a ton of research (natch) and ended up with a toddler size Tula. It was huge for a few months, and oddly, she preferred to ride "arms in," so no leaning. Ours is a wrap conversion so $$$, but the canvas ones are more reasonable, and the standard size (what you'd need) is cheaper still. They come in the cutest prints, too.

I prefer wraps to SSCs and mei teis because they're so versatile. Unfortunately, Agnes hates being wrapped now.

I upgraded from the Ergo to a Toddler KP for similar reasons, but fought buying something new because she hadn't hit the weight limit yet. At 4yrs old, I can still use the Ergo in a pinch, but she's much more amenable to not leaning!

I do agree about wraps being more versatile; I think they're my favorite carriers overall!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    .... Bjorns are not good for hip development but many parents who are unaware of this use them because of the forward-facing-out position. They're still not great for that. You might want to look at gifting the Pikkolo if you think the family will want a forward facing option.
    Eh, there are varying schools of thought on that. In general, a harness carrier used properly will be just fine. In some babies, a harness carrier, especially in the FFO position, may make them more susceptible to hip displasia, but it's not an automatic thing.

Here's a very good, very neutral, article on why FFO may not be the best choice for every babywearer:

http://blog.quirkybaby.com/tag/baby-...hip-dysplasia/

I opted for the Ergo and a woven wrap carrier both because I was concerned about any babies I had being prone to hip issues based on problems my mother has (scoliosis which resulted in hip & other biomechanical issues), and also because I figured, being a bigger person, I would have bigger, fast-growing babies and need a carrier that had a more ergonomic design to get past infancy.

If I had it to do over, I might opt for a Boba or Pikkolo over the Ergo, but I was also hoping that DH would wear our DC, so chose a Daddy-friendly, plain, black Ergo rather than the Galaxy Grey with stars that caught my eye.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I had an Ergo performance and let me say that I LOVE the Ergo, but one word of caution about the Performance version - the center of the carrier (near where the baby's face/back of head will be) is a bit scratchy. The normal Ergo is a lot softer. In addition, the Performance seems to come up a bit higher on the baby's head than the regular one. As a result, it rubbed on his face when we would turn his head. DS2 had really sensitive skin and would end up having irritation where the straps touched his face.
    It wasn't a deal breaker for me - we still used it and I didn't consider selling my performance and re-buying a regular one, but it was annoying.Ergo_normal_Pic.jpgergo_performance_pic.jpg

ETA: but it was cooler (temperature) than the regular ergo...
    Last edited by Mamabear4; 03-28-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2