Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me find clothes for work post baby #2

I go back to work shortly and I feel like I have nothing to wear. To be honest, I have not gone shopping really in the past 8 years other than maternity clothes, which I actually liked for work. I am still nursing and not liking my shape at all. I am very squishy and rolly in the middle. I have big boobs (D+) that are bigger because of nursing. I have a hard time finding nursing bras that are comfortable. I currently am wearing Target Sleep Bras during the day because they are the most comfortable for me while nursing but they don't help with clothes. I am a lawyer and work in a business casual environment but meet with clients at Fortune 500 companies on a regular basis so need to look put together without being overly formal. I think I need to be able to try on the clothes because I have no idea what would look good on me and would be easy to nurse/pump with. DD2 goes to daycare a couple days the next two weeks so I have time to shop alone. I can get to most major stores. Because I want to lose weight in the middle, I don't want to spend a ton, though also know that as long as I am nursing, the weight is not going anywhere and I don't have a lot of time for working out right now anyway. Please help. I am horrible at this.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Assuming you are in bigger sizes than you expect to be in the long term (and I apologize in advance if I am wrong), I would do a mini shopping spree at Loft. You can easily put together business casual separates that won't break the bank. The look is modern enough, so you will feel pretty good. Don't expect the clothes to last forever though. I would buy a black suit at BR and get it taken in later. Get the sheath dress and the pants as well. Each piece will have a ton of uses on their own as well as together. As you lose weight, you can wear a shirt under that sheath dress. A bigger black blazer in your wardrobe in the future has plenty of uses, including outerwear (great jacket to wear in the fall over chunky sweaters).

For nursing bras, my favorites were the Gilligan and OMalley copies of the expensive ones from Nordstrom.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wore shirts similar to this style in early pregnancy and again postpartum, great on their own or for layering and they really do help with the postpartum belly. http://www.puttingmetogether.com/201...gical-top.html

I think my favorite was from JC Penney, maybe Worthington or ANA brand? But it's been over a year so no idea if they still have the style.

Have you tried Bravado Bodysilk bras? Really comfy. I'm also D plus while nursing and also liked the Anita bras after my size stabilized and I was ok with underwire again.

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have several of these Vince Camuto midi tube skirts that I bought and wore during pregnancy (even 3rd trimester!) and postpartum, and I'm still wearing them even though I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight. They're super stretchy. They look like pencil skirts but they're very comfy. You can buy them at your current size, but I think you could still get away with wearing them even if you lose weight later.
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vince-ca...esults-_-1_1_A

(on me: http://goldenpig.lookfab.com/post/wi...leione-blouses)

I also wore/am wearing some ponte skirts from Target (here is a similar one) that are also similarly very stretchy pencil skirts:
    http://www.target.com/p/merona-women...0ponte%20skirt

All you need to do is wear a nice white shirt and these "pencil skirts" and some costume jewelry (like a chunky gold or silver chain necklace and/or a cuff bracelet) and you are good to go!

The Pleione faux wrap aka crossover style tops are also very forgiving of a soft midsection:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/pleione-...esults-_-1_1_C
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/karen-ka...esults-_-1_2_A
    and the Pleione mixed media shirts too (I have 4 in various colors):
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/pleione-...esults-_-1_1_A
    Last edited by goldenpig; 03-26-2014 at 02:27 AM.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

I like the style of these shirts. I will try to get to Nordstrom. Any other ideas out there before I go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Buy a new bra first, a really nice one that fits you right now. I have a Bravado BodySilk and don't love it for work: too thin, and the removeable pads always bunched. I have this Anita that I wear to work because it's thicker. Plan on spending $50. You can probably get by with one nice one and a backup cheaper bra. THEN go clothes shopping. I promise you'll be happier with the clothes if you have nicer undergarments.

Also, I got the bulk of my postpartum wardrobe at Goodwill and a nicer consignment store. Much more cost effective that way and the clothes were only worn for a couple months.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post
    Buy a new bra first, a really nice one that fits you right now. I have a Bravado BodySilk and don't love it for work: too thin, and the removeable pads always bunched. I have this Anita that I wear to work because it's thicker. Plan on spending $50. You can probably get by with one nice one and a backup cheaper bra. THEN go clothes shopping. I promise you'll be happier with the clothes if you have nicer undergarments.

Also, I got the bulk of my postpartum wardrobe at Goodwill and a nicer consignment store. Much more cost effective that way and the clothes were only worn for a couple months.
    I called my local nordstrom. They have nursing bras and can fit me. Anywhere else that might have them? I can go to a major mall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what other stores will carry good bras but I just wanted to second what PP said about getting a good bra first. It will make a tremendous difference in how the clothes fit you. I actually ended up converting a regular bra that fit me well to a nursing bra.

When I was nursing DD, I had a great gilligan omalley from target but they stopped making that specific bra and none of the other ones fit well .
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

No btdt yet on the post partum wardrobe. But re: the bra fitting, do go to the appointment at Nordstrom and get sized correctly. If you only plan on buying one that day, just let them know up front But make notes on the sizes and brands that you like the best so you can confidently get a few more later on. Their bras do eventually go on sale at the Half Yearly Womens sale and are always available for a lot less at Nordies Rack ($30 vs $60-80 full retail).

As a 36DDD pre-pregnancy, I've used their services over the years to get sized correctly (was previously buying 38C and squeezing into it ... Horrible) and reccomend them to everyone, including my sister who got her nursing bra fitting don't there. I love the Natori and la Mystere lines for the smooth fit and wide supportive straps. It makes a HUGE difference in comfort and also getting a nice smooth foundation under your clothing. And I'm so used to the sizing being accurate I can pick them up at the Rack now without even trying them on. The styles are pretty constant in the everyday bra category (black, nude, white) but they also offer the prettier, lacier ones in pastels and fun colors too.
    DS 2014

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post

I got that Anita one in a 36E and it is pretty supportive despite no underwire. And it comes in a lot of different and cute colors and patterns.

After you go to your Nordstrom appointment and get correctly fitted, I have noticed that Amazon sometimes has lower prices on bras than Nordstrom and just as large of a selection…plus free shipping and free returns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast