Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
    What's your take on the matter?

Whatever happened to baby basics?
    well in some cases I am sure this is true (also some people spend a lot on their dogs, cats, houses etc). I do think that baby basics are all that are needed -- it can be fun to have other stuff welcome to the board!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think many people think it's necessary to have stuff like a cute diaper bag, matching decorations in the nursery, cute clothes, nice stroller, etc.

Sure, you could get by in a 1 bedroom apartment with a bunch of flat cloth diapers, a crib, and a bathtub for washing everything (like my grandmother did during WWII when my grandfather was in medical school).

But why would you want to, if you have other options? As long as you're realistic about your budget and cognizant that all the nice stuff is really for you, not the baby, then who gives a care?

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I don't think it's my business what other people spend on their children.
    I never got that Bugaboo stroller I drooled over every time I watched Sex & The City (I was in my mid 20s, a newlywed, and didn't have kids) and once I moved to So Cal in 2004 was the norm when I had DD1 in 2006, but looking back had I wanted to spend $650 on a stroller that could have been my one and only stroller it would have saved me money and time finding the perfect stroller. However I did love my Maclaren Triumph, and the used Uppa Baby Vista I had with DD1, and DD2, and I love my Bob Revolution, so yes basic to me, but their price tags might not be basic to someone else. It really just depends on your definition of basic.

I bought a $90 Nap Nanny for DD2 who refused to sleep during the day unless she was in a stroller. Not the best way to spend money for a baby that was almost 3 months old, but oh gosh for the month that she used it while I was still off of work it was a life saver. We used it for naps until she was 6 months old. I cherished those 90 minutes she'd sleep in it more than anything.

I think there are lots of basics out there still it is just there are way more options than there used to be. With DD2 at 9 months old we tried the Playtex drop ins system and voila her spit up finally went away, a stupid very basic bottle that had been under my nose since I was a kid and a nanny in the 90s was the bottle that worked best. Not the fancy bottles I had tried (Dr. Browns, and Avent). Same thing with cloth diapers, the all in one diapers were great for daycare, but for simplicity and washing sakes prefolds and covers were as easy can be for the rest of the time.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-27-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We all know that nobody NEEDS a ton of stuff for the baby to be well cared for and happy. If you can afford to buy products that might make life easier, though, why not? I think the trouble comes when people break the bank thinking that of their child doesn't have this, that, or the other thing they will have failed as a parent. Children need to be safe and loved and have their physical and emotional needs met. Everything beyond that is gravy.

Having said that, I bought a lot of gravy!!! DS was colicky, and I bought everything I could to make my life easier. Some of those things were lifesavers worth every penny. Others were not. I have no judgement for those who try desperately to throw money at the problems of parenting and no judgement for those who have the bare minimum of "stuff." We're all just trying the best we can.

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This sounds like a blog post or magazine article in the making. Without more context I can't comment.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2