Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

:
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Because she would have to make a third trip to the school to fill it in.
    I guess it surprised me that on this board people would chalk up signing a form to laziness.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I understand your reluctance, but I would likely have just signed that type of form.

In first grade, the worst that happens is they give more homework than you think is necessary, and then you just don't do it. Or take your time. I would be more concerned at higher grade levels where they could give long, complicated projects with short deadlines.
    This is precisely what I would have been thinking. But like others have mentioned, not a big deal either way!

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    Yeah. I get that. My point was just that you don't normally have approval of what assignments your child does. It is really weird of them to want you to sign the form when it isn't filled out yet, but signing the blank form is basically the same (to me) as saying that you agree to whatever assignments the teacher gives. You don't have a problem doing that, but when they give you the form that makes it appear as if you have the right to approve or reject the assignments (by signing) then it feels different to you.
    In 1st grade, the assignments would probably only be objectionable if they were just a burdensome amount of busy work. In higher grades, the assignments definitely can be inappropriate. A friend had to go back and forth with her school over the project assigned to her 5th grader for a visit to their home country. The topic was pretty jaw-breakingly biased and the requirements for completion seemed overly intense. They came up with a compromise but had to involve the principal. If the work is not completed per the document you sign, the absences are counted as unexcused and you could be turned in for truancy. If your child comes home with an inappropriate homework assignment, you can deal with that much more easily with no legal repercussions.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not sure what I would have done, but I think it is perfectly fine that you did not sign it. So, they are a little annoyed with you as it causes an extra step for you. It should not be a big deal. I would just make sure to sign it as soon as possible after they let you know it is available with the info filled in.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

My background as a nuclear document controller and records manager has ingrained into me to never sign blank forms. I would not have signed it either. I have to know what I am signing my name to.
    ~Elle

DS1: 10/08 (the “tenager”)
    DS2: 07/18 (the wild one)

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn't have either!
    DD Spring 2010

I wouldn't have signed it as is. If the school really pushed about a signature, I would have annotated the blank form with some language indicating that the form was blank when I signed it, and I must initial any changes to the form.

FTR, I am a huge pain in the ass when it comes to signing school forms. I used to be an airline captain and my signature on a form held me liable for the contents of that form - flight dispatch releases, maintenance items, pilot logbooks etc. The kind of stuff that can land you in hot water if it's incorrect, falsified, or contains information that could incriminate you in case of an accident/incident. When your career and reputation are on the line for every signature, it's hard to get out of the habit of verifying what you're signing.

For school consent forms at the beginning of the year, I often cross out and initial items for which I do not consent. For instance, the school sends home a blanket technology agreement for all K-12 students allowing accounts to be set up for Gmail, Prezi, and other online providers. I usually cross out and initial the majority of services. I also refuse to sign the blanket photo release, allowing my child's picture to be taken and distributed for anything the school sees fit. Nope, no thank you. DH is a professional photographer so I am very wary of signing such a broad model release.

OP, I am with you. I wouldn't have signed. The problem is with their process, not with you.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nope. Op i would not have signed it. And would not feel the least bad. Im also in a profession where my sig carries a good deal of responsibility AND liability. I make a copy of every kid form i do sign and hang on to them.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

No way Jose! I also have a first grader and although I have had nothing but great interactions with the school there is no way I would sign a blank form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3