basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Which mattress for whom?

My DS (2.5) still sleeps in his crib and I'm not really looking to change that anytime all that soon, but obviously his days are numbered. I'm due with DD in a month.

My friend has offered us her crib and crib mattress that she bought for her daughter, who is my son's age (so it's roughly 3 years old) since her daughter moved to a bed.

Would it be better to put DS's crib mattress in DD's crib, since the history is known, etc...it's a Colgate classica foam mattress so not super high end, not super cheap either?

I'm sure my friend's mattress was actually more expensive, organic, etc. but I'm sort of a freak about the "used" nature of her mattress even though she's super clean and has stored it wrapped and dry, etc. I think it also may have a softer toddler side DS could use, whereas now he's been sleeping on the same super firm mattress he used as a newborn.

I think I'm overanalyzing this, but WWYD?

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Personally, I would consider moving DS into a bed before DD is born. We moved DS into a big boy bed shortly after his second birthday and about a month before DD was born. At first we had the matress on the floor. My DD actually slept in our room in a cradle for the first several weeks, so we didn't have to make the change so early. But, we wanted to remove the crib from his room before he dealt with the change of a new sister and didn't want him to feel like she was taking his bed.

If you don't know what furniture you want for your DS, you could just buy the matress to put on the floor or buy a simple metal frame for about $40 and a matress set while you look for furniture.

I suppose if you have access to a second crib and mattress you have another option. We had friends offer us a toddler bed, but I thought it would be a hassle to set up the furniture an extra time when we really were ready to just move to the next step.

Best wishes as you prepare for your new addition.
    Last edited by Percycat; 04-04-2014 at 03:51 PM.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think it matters either way. DS was about that age when DD was born, and I did not want to move him and risk two non-sleepers. Sound like you would feel better using your DS's mattress for the baby, so I would go with that. There are enough things to worry about with a newborn, both rational and irrational, so if would put your mind more at ease, I would do it, whether there is a good reason to or not.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012