Thread: Newspaper typos

Default Newspaper typos

Totally silly, petty vent: Our tiny town's local paper published a front-page story of DD's school event. The article has a picture of DD and six of her friends. The reporter totally bungled DD's name - put her last name first, and completely misspelled her first name. DD was so excited to hear she was in the paper, I'm disappointed that they messed up her name so badly. Totally petty issue, I know! Just wondering if you would write to the paper and point it out. There's really nothing they can do at this point, just wish they would be more careful with less common, ethnic names. I don't think they would have turned "Jennifer Smith" into "Smith Janea"!
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, I'd point it out kindly and politely. I assume small local newspapers are training grounds for newer reporters, so you're helping them learn their job by nicely pointing out when they've made a glaring error.

(though you may want to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I once corrected a young reporter on the difference between "Discreet" and "Discrete.")
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Send the paper an email with the pertinent information so they can print a correction in the next edition.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    Send the paper an email with the pertinent information so they can print a correction in the next edition.
    Yes. Growing up, our tiny local paper flubbed my name all the time (honor roll listings), and then I grew up to be a reporter...who flubs names sometimes. LOL Definitely let them know - most papers will run a correction, although they most likely won't be able to rerun the photo.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Totally agree. When people try to make excuses for not trying to pronounce DD's full first name, I tell them two things :

A. They can say and probably spell Gwyneth Paltrow
    B. All (ALL) her classmates since she was in daycare, can say her name correctly. So why can't an adult?

I guess it speaks to how conditioned we get as we get older...

I am sorry they didn't get your DD's name right. It is a disappointment but I agree that you should contact the paper and hopefully they will run a correction in the next edition.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would. Our local paper screws up a lot too. When we bought our house here, they took it upon themselves to change my husband's name. His name is Korean and they basically changed it to a girl name and since I kept m uh maiden name, our agent told us that our entire neighborhood thought that a pair of lesbians were moving in. All due to the stupidity of the paper.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Seems like misinformation and getting names wrong is just par for the course in journalism... it's not anything new. Same sort of thing happened to my mom 20 years ago... submitted something to a national magazine, had her name on the cover... with the last name misspelled.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I would. Our local paper screws up a lot too. When we bought our house here, they took it upon themselves to change my husband's name. His name is Korean and they basically changed it to a girl name and since I kept m uh maiden name, our agent told us that our entire neighborhood thought that a pair of lesbians were moving in. All due to the stupidity of the paper.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    This made me spew coffee. Thank you for sharing! I'm having a crappy day, and this made it better!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    This made me spew coffee. Thank you for sharing! I'm having a crappy day, and this made it better!
    When our agent told us about it, I told dh that we better hang a rainbow flag and he should wear a mumu when he mowed the lawn, so as not to disappoint the (super-conservative) neighborhood moved into, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could you ask the paper to re-run the photo and the corrected name on their website? Then, at least your DD could get it printed for a scrapbook?