Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I believe in appropriate spanking... I've seen kids that look out of control and though to myself "that child needs a spanking"... but to verbally tell another parent they need to spank their child??? That's crossing a line.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have been told that by my own family. As if that would work anyway! So, so frustrating. Can't they see how that would just make things worse??

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) a spanking is warranted for blatant, willful defiance in which other methods have not/will not work. In order to actually be effective it needs to be rare. Meaning not the first and only discipline method, used throughout the day, every day. A child who gets upset and cannot get ahold of themselves and spirals down is not being willfully defiant in my opinion. It's an immature response that hopefully is outgrown. Although I do see many adults throw adult sized temper tantrums...

What we have figured out works for DD3 is to send her to the bathroom and she sits on the closed toilet and screams until she calms down and then she walks out and says, "I'm not crying anymore!" and cheerfully rejoins the family. Sometimes that takes 5 minutes and sometimes 45. The reason for the bathroom is that her room is way too fun and for some reason she truly dislikes sitting in the bathroom and it does work to calm her down!

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) a spanking is warranted for blatant, willful defiance in which other methods have not/will not work. In order to actually be effective it needs to be rare. Meaning not the first and only discipline method, used throughout the day, every day. A child who gets upset and cannot get ahold of themselves and spirals down is not being willfully defiant in my opinion. It's an immature response that hopefully is outgrown. Although I do see many adults throw adult sized temper tantrums...

What we have figured out works for DD3 is to send her to the bathroom and she sits on the closed toilet and screams until she calms down and then she walks out and says, "I'm not crying anymore!" and cheerfully rejoins the family. Sometimes that takes 5 minutes and sometimes 45. The reason for the bathroom is that her room is way too fun and for some reason she truly dislikes sitting in the bathroom and it does work to calm her down!
    Yes, I agree. And I can't imagine ever saying that to anyone. I love when people throw out "words of wisdom " like that!

Ann

I understand...my DD used to have massive meltdowns (I remember what felt like to me 45 minutes of screaming and flailing on the floor at a Moms Club meeting--fun times!) and wouldn't let me near her. I knew I just had to let it run its course. She was so worked up she didn't even know who was there or what you were saying. It was hard though!! And especially hard when YOU know what you need to do but are in public and "well-meaning" strangers are being "helpful."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Debbie

I don't even know what I'd say, and if I did say something I guarantee it wouldn't be nice.

DD3 has been doing the same thing lately. I know it's coming when I say "H, please put your shoes on" and she replies with "MY NAME IS NOT H!" It all spirals downhill from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2