Default Relocating to Los Angeles - not for me :)

I have a friend whose DH has a great job offer in LA. She is a Midwestern girl through and through and is not at all happy, but her DH has made some big sacrifices for her career in education and she actually has an opportunity out there as well. She's pretty much a mess feeling like to be a team player, she has to go for at least 3-5 years for DH's sake. They are not making this known for awhile, in part because they don't want to have the kids freak out so she's wary of asking anyone IRL. She is overwhelmed and stressed and looking for where to research about living there. All she keeps seeing is how horrible the commutes are...but she wants a family friendly area, 4 bedroom house 700-800K (but actually hoping to rent first, make sure they pick the right place then buy, but she's wary of moving the kids more than once so they'll probably stay in whatever area they first live.) She's also overwhelmed trying to understand the schools out there. The system is very different (or so it seems) than here.
    Any suggestions on website she should look at and/or ideas?

... and after coming here I see there is another recent thread answering some of this, but I'd still love any suggestions on where to send her to do her own research.
    Last edited by alexsmommy; 04-07-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Before anyone can give any suggestions we should probably know where in LA she and her DH will be working.

I live in Sherman Oaks and love it, but I'm a SAHM so I don't have to commute anywhere! DH now works in Santa Monica and HATES the commute. We have a 4 bedroom house and bought it 2.5 years ago for under 650K, but that was at the very bottom of the market when nothing was selling. But now all the prices have all gone up in the neighborhood by 250K or more and houses are selling fast. So lucky we bought when we did.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I replied to the other thread, but I'll pitch in here because you say that your friend is a Midwest girl through and through...honestly, I am, too, and the cultural difference is SUPER hard for me. I still am desperately hoping DH will get a new job back in the Midwest, but part of that is because our whole family is back there. I agree with PP, traffic/commute totally depends on where you live. As far out as we are, traffic and commutes are not bad. DH works in Malibu and usually has a 30-40 minute commute. That is hard for me coming off a 7 minute commute the last place we lived, but not nearly as bad as his hour+ commute when we lived in Chicago. Like I said in the other thread, if they are looking as far up as I am (we're just over the line in Ventura County, not LA County), I'd be happy to share my experiences--especially coming from the Midwest--via PM.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

She should look at greatschools.org to check out school ratings. There are many nice areas with good public schools in and around the LA area

LA is huge and neighborhoods are very different. Can you find out where exactly the jobs are? I lived on the Westside, completely different from Sherman Oaks, Thousand Oaks (other thread) is a different county, and Orange County is different still.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, definitely need a specific location of the job to make any kind of recommendation. There are very vast differences from one part of LA to another.
    Lea

Mom to:
    DD 8/2003
    DS 11/2005

Ok, just heard back. Her DH will be working in Burbank. Thanks for the replies so far!
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmommy View Post
    Ok, just heard back. Her DH will be working in Burbank. Thanks for the replies so far!
    I know Burbank pretty well. They should be able to find a house in that price range, but to get four bedrooms they'll probably have to find a house "on the hill" or one that's been remodeled. Most of houses in Burbank were pretty small originally so two and three bedroom houses are more common. I can absolutely give school pointers. Burbank and Glendale (next town over) have their own school districts and there are some great schools in both. The area is a good mix of suburbs with quiet neighborhoods & lots of parks, but it takes only 10 minutes to get to into Hollywood/LA. With Dreamworks, Warner Brothers, Disney and Universal all right in the area you still get a bit of industry, but its much more toned down than other parts of LA.

Redfin is good to check out what houses in the area look like and how much you get for your money. Even if they plan on renting that'll help to get a feel for the area (they'll probably want to check out Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Studio City, Toluca Lake, etc.) I'm happy to help out with schools. I researched this whole area like crazy!

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I grew up in Burbank but live in Santa Clarita now which is about 35 minutes north. Burbank is very centrally located. It's only about 20 minutes to Hollywood/Downtown LA. I think it's central location is it's biggest plus. The homes are on the older side, unless they have been remodeled. I still have a lot of family in Burbank and when I visit I don't miss living there at all. If she isn't opposed to a 30 minute commute she may want to check out Santa Clarita. The public schools are great, the homes are newer and it has more of a mid-west small town feel. There are a lot of young families in my community.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05