Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Uh oh, more oarfish sightings!!!

Two LIVE oarfish were seen up close and videotaped and then later died in the shallow waters! This, along with the dream I had 3 nights ago that we were hit with a huge 8.9+ earthquake with a ton of devastation while DS2 and I were down in San Diego while DS1 and DH stayed home (exact scenario happening this weekend) is not comforting. Oh, and did I mention that several of my dreams have come true before!!! Hoping it's not going to come true this time, but just in case I've been updating my earthquake kit yesterday and today and telling DH where everything is since I won't be here!

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/natur...on-baja-beach/
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Anytime I see oarfish on tv or the computer, I think about what you said a while back about their connection to earthquakes. They were on Octonauts a few days ago, and I just finished reading an article about them. Strange looking creatures. I hope it's just a fluke that they're showing up.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Uh oh! Let's stay practical - what have you been updating in your earthquake kit? We are so out of date! Resolving to work on this over spring break next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for Sandy Hook

We need an earthquake kit! What do we need????

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hopefully they were doing their thing for last week's earthquake. I had a very vivid dream on Saturday night but about a zombie apocalypse. Hopefully not some kind of earthquake premonition!
    DD
    DS

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Everytime we hear about an earthquake in CA, I tell DH about the Oarfish. When the last one happened, he said "I think your friend is on to something with these oarfish". Hope you have a safe weekend and the Oarfish do not mean anything.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crayonblue View Post
    We need an earthquake kit! What do we need????
    Here are some links:
    http://www.sf72.org/home

http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Yes, this is the link I posted on FB two days ago with a great starter list. I've been working on our kit since the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, so 3 years now.

We have 2 extra large watertight plastic storage trunks from The Container Store. One for food and food supplies (paper plates, utensils, can opener, etc) and the other for all the emergency kit items. Then we have 3 Go Bags (backpacks) which you want to be able to grab quickly in an evacuation. One for DS2 and I, one for DS1, and one for DH (he has one at work too). In them we have changes of clothes, personal emergency info/contact numbers/photographs, personal hygiene items, 2 bottles of water, an emergency flashlight/radio, whistle, emergency sleeping bag, a face mask, and some high calorie food bars. In addition to the regular emergency kit items from the list on the ready.gov website, we also have about 40 gallons of water, a camp stove and fuel, a gas can, sleeping bags, an emergency toilet w/ a bag of cat litter, extra food for our cat, headlamps for all of us, a LED lantern, and a fireproof box with all our important documents and paperwork. And you'll need cash too!

This is the Container Store watertight trunk that we have:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...1-900F90F8E31E

Oh and I got some emergency food items from Mountain House. Their cans have 10 servings and a 25 year shelf life and their pouches have a 5 year shelf life. I got their "Just in Case Classic Assortment Bucket" that has 6 different meals (29 servings) and a can of their Granola w/ milk and blueberries and a can of their lasagna. Prices are cheapest on Amazon.
    http://www.mountainhouse.com/
    Last edited by essnce629; 04-08-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Oh, and I ordered a 2-pack of these emergency food bars. One to keep in the car and one to keep in the house. Each pack has 9 bars and a 5 year shelf life. I had regular food bars in the car before, but they always expired after a few months and it was too hard to keep track of constantly. These remain stable in high heat so I can just forget about them for awhile.

http://www.amazon.com/S-O-S-Rations-.../dp/B00AFOF2DG

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nice going, essnce629! I need to do this!

Don't forget to put chocolate in your kits!!!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast