Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default tics with ADHD meds?

DS has been on vyvanse for about a week (30 mg). The first day he had a weird back and forth jaw twitch. The second day nothing. Then the 3rd day he started with a winking/blinking tic. I have a call into the pedi but does anyone have any experience? From what I read it seems like adding a med for tics or changing to a non stimulant are the general choices....

Sigh. Other than this the meds are working AWESOME. We got through the first few days of nausea and poor sleep and other than the expected loss of appetite during the day the tic is the only side effect
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We just met with our psch. yesterday and are changing DS medicine to reduce the vyvanse dosage and add a non-stimulant. Last quarter was DS's best quarter at school and at home, so I am concerned about the change. Plus, I understand it will take a while for the non-stimulant medicine to be effective.

We are changing dosage because DS is picking at his hair non-stop. At one point, he had a bald patch on the top of his head. Fortunately, this section has grown back, but he is twisting or playing with other pieces of hair now. He doesn't want to play with his hair and will stop as soon as reminded, but very quickly resumes playing with his hair. We have given him balls and other tactile things to help him and have tried having him wear gloves -- but he plays with his hair all day so the gloves really aren't practical. We are also having weight/food consumption issues. I hope the medicine change will still be effective with the ADD and will have less negative effects.

Good luck figuring out what will work best for your DS.

aww hugs, that sounds really painful! I just heard back, they want me to keep track of when I see the tics and keep monitoring. I think I'll try to get some videos since it isn't constant. He goes back on Tues. This is hard!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Not sure that it is what I would call a "tic" and not sure that it wasn't happening anyhow, but DD picks at her fingernails and toenails to the point that they are absolutely ragged. I don't think she can really help it.

It's hard, isn't it? You fix one issue and have another pop up.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I had a patient who started ADHD meds that caused her eyes to roll. They switched her and now is doing fine. So, it is very possible to see those kinds of side effects.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Christina, my younger DD does the nail picking thing too. Drives me batty.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

DS1 developed a throat clearing/snorting tic after a few months on Ritalin. He's been off stimulants for 2-1/2 years (almost 8 years old now) but that tic is still around. It has gotten a little better, I notice that it's worst when his anxiety is up.

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ds1 has been on vyvanse 20mg since he was 6.5, he just went up to 30mg at 10.5. In the first 2 years he picked his fingernails, but not to bleeding, I don't give it to him in summer or any school breaks (incl weekends) and during those times he does not pick, I used to laugh that I hated summer because I had to remember to clip his nails. Past year and half he has stopped picking quite as much, I notice that I need to clip his nails when I do the other two boys, just not as often. He also chews his tongue when playing video games, started when he started meds and continues to do so whether on or off meds, so it may just be a 'Charlie' thing, I have no idea. The increase in meds has him feeling/acting off (and at 10 he's able to tell me as well as me noticing) but I remember it took a good 6-8wks when we first put him on it so I'm hoping his body adjusts as he did awesome at the 20mg. But with the increSe in school responsibility, along with switching classes and having teachers with such high expectations, as well as a 30lb weight difference from start to current (in 4 years) it was time to increase, so I doubt going back down to 20mg will help him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DS picks his fingernails too. I thought about using the thumb sucking medicine, but he picks mostly with his hands so it won't help. Maybe the dosage change will help with this problem too.

Is it also normal to have the medication not work as well after the first few days? He is on 30 mg (76 lbs and TALL) and his teacher said the first few days were amazing and now it is better but not as spectacular
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast