AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default favorite 5 to 7" shorts

Update: I ended up getting three pairs of the Loft Riviera shorts, two in denim (4" and 6" and am debating between the two), and one in a linen/black floral pattern (4"). I tried the traditional 100% cotton fabric and they were just a tad tight and didn't feel like they would stretch at all. I am going to wear the 6" denim ones around the house and decide on them then. Thankfully the 4" shorts aren't super short and still provide nice coverage, but not too much.

I need new shorts as my current ones from Eddie Bauer are 5 yrs. old and sadly there is no more Eddie Bauer stores (even outlets) near me and I am going on vacation next week. I want something with a 5 to 7" inseam and 7" is the absolute maximum because anything longer like Bermuda length just don't look right on me and I feel like they cut me in half and bring WAY TOO much attention to my wide hips. I am pretty curvy and have a bit of a butt. I will need a 12 or a 14, and I would prefer to spend less than $50.

I do have Zappos VIP so if I order today I can get them tomorrow and quickly return them if I hate them, but also have access to most main stream stores from Nordstrom to Wal Mart.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-16-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been pretty happy with my twill shorts from Old Navy. They have 5" and 7" inseam shorts. I think mine are 7". At $25 or less they work well for me.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=938626012

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=952588022

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've always been a fan of jcrew's chino shorts and they come in both 5" and 7" lengths. Athleta sometimes has really awesome ones but definitely YMMV.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Target's Merona...they are just like JCrew (as in I can't tell the difference if I put them next to each other). I have had them for about 2 years and they are holding up well.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Thanks for the Old Navy rec. too. I will probably try them as well even though I have never been able to wear their shorts since I had kids as they aren't very flattering with my hips and butt or the size that is there is too much of a gap in the back. Bummer that the 7" shorts are only available online, and with Gaps shipping being slow I probably wouldn't get them before leave on Wednesday.

I was less than impressed with the quality of the last pair of chino crops I got from J Crew so I am not that excited about shopping there anymore and I used to love and live in their stuff. The quality for the price just isn't worth it to me, but maybe if I have some time I'll stop by that mall.

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    Target's Merona...they are just like JCrew (as in I can't tell the difference if I put them next to each other). I have had them for about 2 years and they are holding up well.
    I tried these on the other day for the first time this year and the 14s ran small on me, and of course they only had 16s in the colors I didn't like.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

I hate most target things, but do like those shorts although I size up one size. As far as BM stores, I have Loft 4" shorts I like a lot and I know they have 6" shorts. I can't go longer than 5 so they look terrible on me length wise, but nice otherwise.

ETA: The loft shorts run a bit big so you may be your typical size or one size smaller.
    Last edited by specialp; 04-15-2014 at 02:23 PM.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I got some really nice shorts at Land's End last year. I liked the ones I got online so much that I bought more in the Sears store (the one in Los Altos). I wore them like crazy last summer and will again this year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

J Crew are my favorites. I have several pairs of 5" that I love and are going strong after 4 or 5 years.

updated the OP.

PunkyBoo, thanks for the Lands End rec. as well, I will have to stop in on Saturday AM after I go the gym and maybe the traditional khaki cotton ones will fit better than the Loft ones.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    I've always been a fan of jcrew's chino shorts and they come in both 5" and 7" lengths. Athleta sometimes has really awesome ones but definitely YMMV.
    This. I got some on sale at the end of the summer last year and they are nice. Will have to watch for the Target ones if they're the same!