ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you have jeans altered?

I have a new pair of Paige straight jeans that are too long and I didn't realize the inseam. Is it hard to hem them and look okay on the bottom. I know a seamstress.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm only 5'0" so I always have pants hemmed through my drycleaner. I opt for them to just hem them with a matching thread but I hear you can have them trim off the existing hem and then reattach it so you don't change the look of the pants. It's usually pretty quick and easy.
    DS 05/09
    DD 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by JenChem View Post
    I'm only 5'0" so I always have pants hemmed through my drycleaner. I opt for them to just hem them with a matching thread but I hear you can have them trim off the existing hem and then reattach it so you don't change the look of the pants. It's usually pretty quick and easy.
    I also have mine hemmed with matching thread. I have had them done the other way, and every time I wash them, the hem flips up, and I have to iron the hem under just to get them to lie flat, so I prefer the regular hem.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm 4'11'', I pay about 16.00 to have the original hem used when mine are hemmed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I also have mine hemmed with matching thread. I have had them done the other way, and every time I wash them, the hem flips up, and I have to iron the hem under just to get them to lie flat, so I prefer the regular hem.
    I've had that same problem so I just get a new hem. I have never not hemmed my jeans. Sometimes I do it myself, sometimes I have alterations do it.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get nicer jeans hemmed with original hem for $15 and pay half that for standard hem.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I'm 4'11'', I pay about 16.00 to have the original hem used when mine are hemmed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    This exactly, except I'm a couple inches taller. I have never had a problem with them curling up when washed. The first time I picked up a pair I thought they forgot to hem them because they looked so good.
    DS age 9

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, at the drycleaner. Even short inseam jeans are too long for me. I can't remember the exact price, probably $10-$15/pair
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I always have mine altered as well. I pay $7 at the drycleaners and they look original. I always just machine wash and hang dry so they look just like new.
    DD 1/11