Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Based on that study it was just 3% who had a csection.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would think it would be the same for the first? Each pregnancy would have the same odds of having a C, if you'd never had one? What do I know though, LOL.

I had 2 v's and then a c.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2khj View Post
    I would think it would be the same for the first? Each pregnancy would have the same odds of having a C, if you'd never had one? What do I know though, LOL.

I had 2 v's and then a c.
    No, your chances of a csection are MUCH higher with a first delivery than with subsequent deliveries (assuming your first delivery was vaginal).

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    No, your chances of a csection are MUCH higher with a first delivery than with subsequent deliveries (assuming your first delivery was vaginal).
    Why is that? Truly curious!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ha, funny this has revived! I'm the OP, and my DD is 10 weeks old now. At 40w1d, my water broke at 6 am, we went right in since I was GBS+, and she was born at 2 pm after only 9 minutes of pushing

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Ha, funny this has revived! I'm the OP, and my DD is 10 weeks old now. At 40w1d, my water broke at 6 am, we went right in since I was GBS+, and she was born at 2 pm after only 9 minutes of pushing
    Glad it worked out well!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why is that? Truly curious!
    The c-section rate for first deliveries is 25-40% depending on the OB and hospital. Many OBs and hospitals are unwilling to let labor extend longer than certain timeframes, especially if your water has broken.

But once a mom has delivered vaginally, then OBs are typically more comfortable letting labor proceed at it's own pace. Also, subsequent deliveries tend to be much shorter and within the allowed timeframes.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Makes sense! TFS!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    The c-section rate for first deliveries is 25-40% depending on the OB and hospital. Many OBs and hospitals are unwilling to let labor extend longer than certain timeframes, especially if your water has broken.

But once a mom has delivered vaginally, then OBs are typically more comfortable letting labor proceed at it's own pace. Also, subsequent deliveries tend to be much shorter and within the allowed timeframes.
    Yes to all of this. Csection for 'failure to progress' is much more common in first time moms who have longer labors (my first labor was 52 hours, for example, and many providers would have recommended augmentation and/or csection due to that although I was able to have a vaginal birth - but my subsequent three labors were all under 20 hours though). Also, induction is far more likely to result in a csection for first time moms than moms who have already given birth (most common reasons for csection after an induction are from fetal distress due to the effects of the induction (ex. pitocin contractions not tolerated well by the baby) or from failure to progress which can be due to baby's position, baby not ready to be born yet, etc...)

Second time moms have much more successful inductions so those don't necessarily raise their csection risk, and their chance of having a longer labor than average are far less likely as well.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Congrats! I am always in awe when I hear that it took someone only minutes of pushing! I really didn't push since the first time I had taken an epi and second time was ready to push 10 cm dilated when my OB declared that the baby was face presentation and we decided to go for a c-section.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2