Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You mentioned his allergies in the last post... I know a couple of us asked if he was on Zyrtec, but I'm not sure if you ever went back to that post. Not that it would explain everything, but Zyrtec made my kid nuts. He's normally very even keeled and was NUTS. I can't imagine his reaction in my intense oldest if it affected the chill kid that much. There's another recent post about a cousin of Zyrtec doing the same. Another allergy med (not sure which now, this was 4 years ago) madey friend's son express suicidal thoughts at 7!

Anyway, since you said it's seasonal, I wondered if there could be a connection with meds.

Good luck finding some answers.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dealing with perseveration is so challenging. I agree that a desensitization program as chays described is probably the best bet. My DD had irrational fears of restrooms and vacuums. She has overcome both now, but it took some time to do so. The first two weeks of Kindergarten, she refused to use the restroom in the classroom and then I realized the teacher had a vacuum parked right next to the door. Basically, a double whammy. She had a full on meltdown at a restaurant when she saw a vacuum behind a curtain, and refused to go down to the basement of a house we just moved into because I left the vacuum at the bottom of the stairs. Toilet-training was awful because she would insist that we had to go home for her to use the toilet as she would not enter a restroom if we were out shopping, at her therapy sessions, at a restaurant, etc. We even made special arrangements at our local zoo to use a restroom not generally available to the public as it was more like a 1/2 bath you would have at home. She overcame these things through desensitization which took some time and was ever so frustrating along the way.

Hang in there and keep trying.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    He has EXTREMELY severe anxiety. To the point that it interferes with NORMAL life activities. Get those appointments rolling and get him some medication if needed. It sounds to me like he needs it, poor little guy.
    I agree...it sounds like panic attacks too, in a way. My Dd has pretty severe anxiety (she hates bugs too, to the point that it interferes), but we do medicate her and I wish we had done it sooner. Your little guy can't help how he's feeling and reacting. It IS irrational, and he knows it is, but the feeling and the fear and the physical response are all typical of extreme anxiety and panic. It literally does cause a chemical reaction in his body even though nothing it "technically" wrong. What he feels is very very real and intense and I know how it feels as a rational adult....I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be for a young child.

I would seek a child psychiatrist and ask for anxiety meds. Zoloft is often well-tolerated.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn't call it seasonal anxiety, but a phobia with a specific trigger, which happens to be bugs (and in a larger sense, the outdoors).

DD has a phobia of planes (bc she once threw up on one, and she also has a fear of throwing up). I thought we were doing pretty well-- we went on two trips last year-- but we just had a plane trip for the first time in ~10 months. She was only a little worried in anticipation of the trip. But then, as we walked on the plane, she suddenly got extremely upset. (I mean, crying, screaming, tantruming upset.) I think entering the plane triggered the old anxiety, and the fact that it had been so long since our last trip was part of that. She was extremely upset for the first several minutes, but fortunately calmed down for the plane ride. And by the end of our trip (two hops each way) she was fine.

You are not alone! I think seeking help is a great idea. Another way, if your therapist or pediatrician don't have specific recommendations, is to ask call each therapist's office and ask if they specialize in anxiety/phobias in children. What chays described sounds like exposure therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_therapy), you may want to ask about that specifically.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Big hugs to you.

My DS1 has a lot of stuff going on, too...some health care provider once asked me, is Ds's issues affecting how you do things/live your life/changing the way you would do things with your family? And the answer was yes, of course. But it gave me a kind of barometer to use - if I'm doing things differently because of Ds and his issues, medication may be a reasonable option.

Saying this because you mention that your DC only has a "problem" during certain months...imo even if it's only a problem some of the time, if the probalem is big enough to disrupt your family's routine then it's worth looking into.

My kids pediatrician told me that when her own daughter was exhibiting severe anxiety that was also preventing their family from functioning normally and being able to leave the house together, they got her to a psychiatrist and got her on medication. It was the best thing ever and she is so thankful she did it even though her daughter was young, say 6 or 7 at the time. My oldest was displaying some anxiety in the fall and we seem to have curbed the fears with some sessions with a therapist for her but I wouldn't hesitate to do medication if it had spiraled or spirals in the future. We have family history of anxiety so I am very aware of it.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with PPs that going through more private channels than FB is probably a good idea. Can you ask your therapist, your DS's pediatrician, your insurance company? Start with a list of names, call all of them tomorrow and ask if they see kids and if they offer the kind of therapy described above. Find someone to make an appointment with - even if that person doesn't turn out to be the best ever at least you've gotten the ball rolling.

For the sake of your DS and your family, it sounds like you need to take action immediately. I hope you get some answers soon.
    DS age 9

I would definitely follow through with a therapist. Even if it is one season a year that you see this behavior, that is still a quarter of his life each year. You have already gotten great advice about this part of the puzzle.

I did want to mention that I notice with my allergy kiddo that when allergies affect him, life tends to fall apart. His normal coping skills tend to be less. Add allergies in and they tend to become non-existent. Something to keep in mind if he deals with anything else during that season that could impact the situation.

Hang in there mama, it is hard to watch your kiddo struggle but you are not alone!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Quote Originally Posted by chays View Post
    I couldn't read and not reply. My DS had a fear of rust - wouldn't go near rusty cars, hubcaps, etc. I have had to carry him trough parking lots. His therapist, with DS's consent, last summer started a kind of therapy where he increased exposure until DS could keep calm. They first looked at pictures of rusty things and progressed to having rusty nails in the room...then near his chair...then on the arm of the chair...eventually he held a rusty nail and stuck his head through a rusty barrel ring. It took weeks, I have heard it can take months. The therapist explained that with proper exposure, eventually the fear switch in the brain turn off. Literally like a switch. The brain realizes that the stimulus is not a danger, forever. The therapist told me the story of a kid who couldn't go to school because he was afraid of the classroom (apparently got some very bad family news while at school) and they did something similar with a driver's ed classroom in his building. Just conditioned the kid until he wasn't afraid anymore. He also told me he has done this type of therapy with spiders. I would ask your therapist about it, because it could be helpful!!! Good luck, and you are not alone in having a kid with a wacky fears! Rusty hubcaps, really???
    This is EXACTLY the therapy to which I was alluding. It works.

Definitely find a different therapist than the one you were seeing before. It does not sound like that was a good fit or particularly helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Definitely find a therapist that specializes in phobias, not just generalized anxiety. Phobias are often not that difficult to extinguish, though it may take a bit of time. Medication is rarely necessary. (That is, of course, unless the phobia is part of a wider issue like OCD.)

Did your previous therapist work with techniques designed to extinguish phobias? If not, find someone else. You probably want a clinical psychologist who specializes in phobias, trauma, and PTSD. A lot of the techniques used are similar.

I soooo feel for your DS and for your family. I can't imagine having a phobia like that and how debilitating it must be! How awful to be so excited about going outside and the to be gripped by a horrifying fear! I can only imagine how hard it is on the rest of the family, too.

I would talk to the school counselor and allow your son to stay inside for recess if necessary. When you get the appointment with the psychologist, ask him or her how to proceed with the school.

Phobias can be debilitating. Given that it sounds like there is a larger anxiety issue, getting tools in his toolbox to cope with panic attacks and anxiety asap will benefit him long term. Poor baby.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast