♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Vons grocery delivery??

Ok so we leave for Disneyland the day after tomorrow (eek!) and i just realized I completely forgot about this! Hope it's not too late to order!

I have heard of getting groceries delivered to the hotel, but not sure how best to go about it (is there a link from the local store website?). Can you specify a time window for delivery (we won't be able to check in until after 3pm)? Also, i think i read somewhere you can get coupons for it? If we could, we would instead just make a trip to grocery store once we get there, but we won't have a car until later in the week, and having stuff delivered to the room would really be nice!

We are going to be staying at the Howard Johnson. I want to order things like milk, drinkable smoothies, cheese sticks for the kids, as well as cereals, granola bars, fruit etc..some stuff perishable. Our room will have a mini-fridge, so I want to make sure our room will be ready by the time it is delivered. We get there around 11 but won't be able to check in probably until later (after 3pm).

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Call the hotel. Many hotels that cater to families in resort areas have large refrigerator where they will store delivered items.

ETA: I just looked at their website. They have a store on-site. You could purchase perishables there and either pack non-perishables from home in a box as checked luggage (we do this all the time) or just have non-perishables delivered if they don't have a refrigerator.
    Last edited by egoldber; 05-02-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

oh ok thanks! i will try to call tomorrow. packing non-perishables sounds like a great idea..for breakfast the kids mostly eat things like granola bars anyway.

that is cool they have a convenience store onsite. though i might need grocery delivery for things like milk bc my kids go through milk like *crazy* and i'd hate to be re-buying the small expensive containers so often!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No free breakfast? When we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, we were able to stock up on snacks from breakfast. Only ds2 drinks milk so we all ordered some and kept the rest in our fridge. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    No free breakfast? When we stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, we were able to stock up on snacks from breakfast. Only ds2 drinks milk so we all ordered some and kept the rest in our fridge. Just a thought.
    Well I just assumed they didn't provide free breakfast bc our reservation and the website didn't mention it. It would be cool if they did but then again i eat gluten-free so most breakfast stuff is out. The nice thing though is that there is a McDonalds right there, as well as a Mimi's, so we can always eat there.

only ds and dd drink milk (dh & i cannot drink it) and between the two of them they go through a gallon every 4 days. we limit it to a cup in the morning and at night, but that times 2 plus when they have milk in their cereal..it's a little crazy!

The trick with using Vons is that it's a $10 delivery charge unless it's your first order and it's over $50. Google "Von's Grocery" or go to safeway.com. They are sister companies. Sign up using the hotel's address. I think they charge based on how tight you want your delivery window--ie, it's cheaper to take a 4-6 hour delivery window than a 2 hour delivery window. To be honest, though, I haven't used a grocery delivery in ages! Personally, I would just pop into the convenience store each morning/evening for a small box of milk that will get you through the needed times. Mini-fridges are notoriously bad at keeping things the proper temp, which means they could be getting warm/spoiled milk on day 3 or 4.

I can't remember if HoJo's does breakfast or not, for sure, but I think it's a not.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

At the WDW resort stores, the food isn't that expensive. It's more like 7-11 prices vs. grocery store prices. So a gallon of milk might be $2-3 more. In the grand scheme of a Disney vacation, I would just consider it part of the expense. Or you could do their store for a few things and then use your car when you get it later.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would take a cab to the grocery store when I got there
    My baby boy is 3!