Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 80s Party - Dress Dh and Me

We are heading to an 80s party next month. What should we wear? I would rather go for a dress look than a workout look.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We went to one of those last year, it was fun! I went Madonna - black tank top, short black skirt, denim jacket, fishnet tights and fishnet gloves, big hair, lots of makeup. Claire's was very useful for accessories if you have one near you. DH went as Indiana Jones - khakis, leather jacket, fedora, whip
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default 80s Party - Dress Dh and Me

A 1980s party dress that has a short bubble or ruffled hem with a more fitted or ruched bodice.

Eta: can you please do your hair like Joan Cusack in Working Girl?
    Last edited by boolady; 05-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could also do an 80s power suit like in Secret of My Success. Shoulder pads everywhere!
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Magnum PI for DH

PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH and I just went to an 80s Prom theme party a few wks ago. We didn't dress up (it was optional) but most of the other partygoers did. Some options for your DH could be Miami Vice (colored tee shirt under light colored blazer, slip on light colored shoes and no socks), Fresh Prince (neon colored tee shirt, shorts, sideways baseball cap), or preppy (2 different colored pastel polo shirts worn together with the collar up, pastel colored fabric belt, shorts or khakis, slip on shoes with no socks). MC Hammer pants? Can he sculpt his hair like the New Wave bands did (Flock of Seagulls had some awesome hair)

For you - the Madonna look PP described, or a Flashdance look (sweatshirt with neck cut out and worn off one shoulder, with Capri leggings, leg warmers and pointy toed heels), side pony tail or teased up bangs and big hairsprayed hair, lots of bangle bracelets, neon colours, or a puffy sleeved ruffled taffeta dress with a big bow on the back. You could also wear a patterned or neon scrunchie in your hair. Or big puffy white high top sneakers with big white socks scrunched down. Or pegged jeans - especially if they are acid washed or bleached. A jean jacket that's acid washed or bleached.

Yeah I spent some time dressed like that in high school. .. :

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wonder if you can find some Laura Ashley dress somewhere? Even better if it has a butt bow. That was the 80s,right, not the 90s?

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you mean like my Gunne Sax prom dresses?

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I wonder if you can find some Laura Ashley dress somewhere? Even better if it has a butt bow. That was the 80s,right, not the 90s?
    Totally 80s...that "Gunne Sax" style was pretty much the look for all the girls when I was on the bat mitzvah circuit. So different from the cocktail dresses 12 and 13-year-old girls wear today.