Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about Burlington VT? You could go hiking in the Green Mountains, there is Lake Champlain, and Burlington is a beautiful little city to explore. Lots of great restaurants.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    No beaches in or around Montreal....when it's taken into consideration where you're coming from and what your standards might be because of that. So, yes, there's water, and yes, there are "beaches"...but not when Lake Michigan is your norm. However, there's lots of great hiking and food here also great cycling, and amazing museums and other cultural stuff to do. Quebeckers are very outdoorsy people so we have a lot of provincial parks that reflect that. They're also people who really love life and enjoy good food so there are tons of amazing bars and restaurants that aren't super spendy. There are spas too. I've never been It's about a 12 hr. drive for you.

Canadian beaches (in Eastern Canada) don't get nice until you get into the Maritime provinces. Eastern QC (east of Quebec City) is gorgeous, but the water is amazingly cold - even in summer.

Northern New England also has great hiking and pre-kid we often popped down across the border to hike/camp there.

Thank you you all for your suggestions, and I guess we will have to check them out another time. You are right, MontrealMum, we are kind of spoiled with Lake Michigan, and since we really just want to get away sans kids, we decided to stay in Michigan, after all. We are going to go to Pictured Rocks (DH has always wanted to go there) and then to Mackinac Island (staying at the Grand Hotel) and ending up by Sleeping Bear Dunes. I am excited! If anyone has suggestions of places to do,places to stay, etc., I am all ears.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I only know the Traverse City and Sleeping Bear area. Let me know if I can help. We vacation there every year.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I only know the Traverse City and Sleeping Bear area. Let me know if I can help. We vacation there every year.

Do you have any lodging suggestions for 2-3 nights? I would prefer to stay around sleeping bear dunes but wouldn't be opposed to T.C. either. TIA!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hocking Hills in the southern part of Ohio sounds like it would be something your dh would really like. The falls there are supposed to be really nice, it is on our list of places to visit and there are TONS of cabins to rent.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I was going to suggest Pictured Rocks. DH and I did a kayak tour of them a number of years ago that was quite fun. Not many places to stay nearby though.

ETA: There are quite a few waterfalls in the area that should be pretty good with the amount of snow this year.
    Last edited by KrisM; 05-13-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    Do you have any lodging suggestions for 2-3 nights? I would prefer to stay around sleeping bear dunes but wouldn't be opposed to T.C. either. TIA!
    We always have someone to stay with (though this year we are renting a house in Suttons Bay) but I would probably stay in Glen Arbor. So much to walk to- places to eat, shop and the beach. This one popped up as a good place to stay:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Michigan.html

eta- we like to do the canoeing or tubing down the Platte River- especially fun if you don't have little ones with you complaining that they are bored. If you go into Traverse City, we love Amical to eat. Poppycocks is good too. Grand Traverse Pie Co. is always yummy. Exploring the wineries on Mission Peninsula is fun. This little taco stand in Cedar was really, really tasty and a fun find! http://cedarsolhydrofarm.com/taco-menu/

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 05-13-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I was going to suggest Pictured Rocks. DH and I did a kayak tour of them a number of years ago that was quite fun. Not many places to stay nearby though.

ETA: There are quite a few waterfalls in the area that should be pretty good with the amount of snow this year.
    thanks! Kayaking and waterfalls sound great!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We always have someone to stay with (though this year we are renting a house in Suttons Bay) but I would probably stay in Glen Arbor. So much to walk to- places to eat, shop and the beach. This one popped up as a good place to stay:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Michigan.html

eta- we like to do the canoeing or tubing down the Platte River- especially fun if you don't have little ones with you complaining that they are bored. If you go into Traverse City, we love Amical to eat. Poppycocks is good too. Grand Traverse Pie Co. is always yummy. Exploring the wineries on Mission Peninsula is fun. This little taco stand in Cedar was really, really tasty and a fun find! http://cedarsolhydrofarm.com/taco-menu/

great suggestions! Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2