Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Couples' vacation destination

DH and i would like to go away for our 10th anniversary this summer. We live in MI, and DH has a fear of flights and will NOT get on an airplane (bummer for me), so it has to be within about a 12 hr drive. He wants to rent a cabin in the mountains of TN, but we have been there before, so I would like to do something different. We like the beach but DH doesn't like to just sit, so we would need activities to do at the beach. I like good food and would also like to go to a spa. Any suggestions on a location?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

How many days will you have? I'd probably do part urban, part spa/ nature.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    How many days will you have? I'd probably do part urban, part spa/ nature.

I think we could take up to a week including driving days.

What about Savannah or Charleston? Both have beaches nearby but tons of other stuff to do.

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Is New England too far? Newport and/or Nantucket are both beautiful with great food and spas.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What about Portland, ME? There are great beaches nearby, but also amazing food and things to do. Or Montreal?
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    What about Savannah or Charleston? Both have beaches nearby but tons of other stuff to do.
    been been to charleston and loved it, so I gave kind of been thinking about visiting savannah

Quote Originally Posted by SummerBaby View Post
    Is New England too far? Newport and/or Nantucket are both beautiful with great food and spas.
    Nope, not too far

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    What about Portland, ME? There are great beaches nearby, but also amazing food and things to do. Or Montreal?
    i'll check into them

thanks, everyone!

DH wants to do some hiking, so I guess savannah is probably out. How about New England or Montreal? Any hiking with beaches nearby and good food yet?

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can I assume you have done Mackinac Island?

Look into Ballston Spa/Saratoga Springs, New York. The latter gets its name from the natural springs, so it's sort of like a spa. Make sure to check the racing schedule, though. It will be swarming with fans in August, I think--and totally booked.

I don't remember any names, but I know DH and I went hiking in the area way back when (~20 years ago). There is no beach, of course, but you could check out Lake George to the north.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    How about New England or Montreal? Any hiking with beaches nearby and good food yet?
    No beaches in or around Montreal....when it's taken into consideration where you're coming from and what your standards might be because of that. So, yes, there's water, and yes, there are "beaches"...but not when Lake Michigan is your norm. However, there's lots of great hiking and food here also great cycling, and amazing museums and other cultural stuff to do. Quebeckers are very outdoorsy people so we have a lot of provincial parks that reflect that. They're also people who really love life and enjoy good food so there are tons of amazing bars and restaurants that aren't super spendy. There are spas too. I've never been It's about a 12 hr. drive for you.

Canadian beaches (in Eastern Canada) don't get nice until you get into the Maritime provinces. Eastern QC (east of Quebec City) is gorgeous, but the water is amazingly cold - even in summer.

Northern New England also has great hiking and pre-kid we often popped down across the border to hike/camp there.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast