blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Copenhagen, STockholm, Oslo, Bergen, and ICeland--tips?

We are touring Scandinavia soon...anyone from there or have tips? I have been before (long time ago) and am good at planning, but with this board you sometimes get really lucky and someone has real expertise/recent experience. If you have any advice or think there is something we should not miss please let us know! Thanks so much!

It's been forever since I did it, but if you can, take the Hurtigruten from Bergen for a day or two up the fjords. Nothing compares to being in a boat in the fjords - truly spectacular!

ETA: I took the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Alesund and back to visit with friends who lived a ferry ride away from Alesund. Both legs were overnight, so I had a long day in Alesund. I know there are more luxury-type cruises that also do the fjords, but for a short, inexpensive voyage, this was perfect.

Also, I think it is mandatory that all tourists take the Floibanen funicular.
    Last edited by pb&j; 05-06-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I highly recommend the Rick Steves Guides for Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. He gives you the absolute must-sees with tips and then goes from there. I'm not sure about the other smaller cities but Tripadvisor for sure has some great info as well.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks, guys. We are planning to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour of the fjords. We did it years ago and it was stunning--it is a combo of bus, train, and boat. This time we booked at night at the Stalheim hotel along the way because it was in such a stunning location we remembered passing it last time. Is this the boat tour--the HUtigruten you are thinking of? Is the funicular in Bergen?

We definitely have the Rick Steves guides and have been using them to great effect!

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated!

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

no advice but have a great trip! totally on my bucket list.