MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone experience sacroiliac issues?

I've been going to PT for about a month. My hip/back pain is not getting any better. Today the PT said she thought it felt like maybe my sacroiliac joint may be dislocated. She suggested going to a chiropractor while we are waiting on the X-ray orders because she's also concerned about something in my hip. I have never been to a chiropractor and it scares me for some reason. Just wondering if anyone has had issues with this joint and how it was treated. My pain is worse when I stand up after sitting awhile, but also is present anytime I move in many different directions. It's all around my hip bone, groin, and a spot in my back.

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not sure if I had your exact condition, but I had pelvic pain/infertility/major hip misalignment issues that I was seeing a pt for. Pt helped, but I also thought that chiro helped me, too. I was also afraid. Very. I even cried after the first appt, it was so overwhelming. but, I just had to get used to it. It was a totally new experience for me. Btw, it didn't hurt at all.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

I've has SI issues since the birth of DS. I've been to PT twice. I'm not sure it helped at all. The pain is better than it used to be, but definitely not gone. I feel like it just got better on its own not cause of the PT. At this point I am bit sure if it will ever improve.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would recommend a good chiropractor for this issue

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had SI joint issues after my youngest three kids. My women's health PT set me straight.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I had SI joint issues after my youngest three kids. My women's health PT set me straight.
    What were your symptoms before treatment? What did they do to get your fixed up? There's a Women's PT about an hour away that I may try out if need be.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Back, pelvic, and knee pain. My PT feels that my issues started after DS was born because he was posterior and my hardest delivery. I didn't notice anything was wrong until after DD3, when I went crying to my OB after a fairly high risk pregnancy that I felt like I had arthritis. He was quite alarmed, because I am not the crying type. I'm usually pretty snarky/cheerful. Everything felt so wrong. It took 6 months to get me feeling up to par- she helped keep my SI joint in check, and also reduced my diastasis recti to just a finger tip from 3.5 fingers. She warned me that it was likely it would happen with subsequent pregnancies. It did happen after DD4, although the treatment was much easier and I snapped back faster once I admitted that I had a problem again. She told me that I have to expect it would happen with any subsequent pregnancies, if that makes a difference in my family planning (it does). The PT was exhausting, but not because I worked hard. It was mostly passive exercise and stretching that she did to me. It was so worth it, I can't begin to tell you.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I see a chiro for SI issues every 6 weeks, and have been going for probably 13 years now. It helps me feel like my legs aren't going to pop off like a Barbie doll's any minute. I had to increase to every 3-4 weeks when pregnant.

I just signed up with a strength trainer because I want this problem fixed for good. He thinks it's possible. It's only been a couple of days, so I'll know better in a few months. (Though I've been lifting weights for over a year, and things are already much improved. I can hold my adjustments for much longer than before.)

I had intense SI pain with my last three pregnancies. I went to PTs each time (different ones as we'd moved out of state each time), and my experience was very similar to swissair81. I will say I my first PT specialized in women's issues (SI and pelvic floor) and was amazing, so if you found one who did a lot of that, I would totally drive to be seen by them. For me, it was SO, SO worth it--I went from crying in pain daily to nearly normal activity level. And my PTs have all agreed that in my case, pregnancy (once I "pop" and my center of gravity shifts) exacerbates the problem, but generally weak core muscles are a problem for me, as well. As pastrygirl mentioned, a lot of fixing the problem for good has to do with strengthening your body (especially your core). My PTs have all given me exercises to do just that, and when I feel myself starting to feel the SI acting up again, I try to go right back into the stretches and squats.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i have right side si issues and see a chiropractor when it acts up. the last time was last late fall, but i need to go again soon. the other thing that helps is an excellent massage in those trigger points - hurts so good!

but yes, it is really sucky ouchy pain.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06