Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Washington DC ideas? also hotel?

Hi all
    DH, DS1 (turning 9) and I are heading to Washington DC in July for a weekend for DS's bday.

Questions
    Suggest a hotel near the action to stay -- price isn't a huge factor. Maybe the Hay Adams?
    What to do?
    Places to eat?

We land Friday morning and return Sunday late afternoon.
    DS1 loves history and it has been ages since I've been to DC for fun (not sure DH has ever gone for touring). DS1 will also just liking having his 2 parents to himself. We prefer not to be crazy insane hustling from place to place and we don't love crowds (I KNOW). For reference the Museum of Natural History in NYC was a bust. Churchill's War Rooms in London was a hit with DS1.

I've emailed to see if I can get a White House tour.

So far I am thinking
    Friday (we land at 845 am and should be ready to do something by 10 or before).
    Explore National Mall area
    Tour White House if possible (long shot I think)
    Something at the Capitol building??
    Bureau of Engraving (he collects US coins and has pennies from 100 years or something like that).

Saturday
    Spy museum
    Georgetown (thinking supper maybe?)

Sunday
    a museum maybe? help? we have to head to airport at 3 pm
    Last edited by hillview; 05-07-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What airport are you flying into?

You could stay in Arlington or Crystal City, but with just being the 2 of you, downtown DC is probably more fun. The W is right next to the White House.

When you say "explore Mall" do you mean go to museums? The museums are huge and can take hours to see even a fraction, so I would definitely research what exactly you want to see while you are here so that you can plan your time. Definitely try and get to the more popular ones (Natural History, American History, Air&Space) as early in the day as possible.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    What airport are you flying into?

You could stay in Arlington or Crystal City, but with just being the 2 of you, downtown DC is probably more fun. The W is right next to the White House.

When you say "explore Mall" do you mean go to museums? The museums are huge and can take hours to see even a fraction, so I would definitely research what exactly you want to see while you are here so that you can plan your time. Definitely try and get to the more popular ones (Natural History, American History, Air&Space) as early in the day as possible.
    thanks Beth! We fly into DCA. Explore the Mall well apparently I need a map. I was thinking of not museums but more walking to some of the sites (White House, Capitol building, Lincoln memorial, etc).
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Oh I see. Well, that's still a lot of area. The Mall is about 2 miles long from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. I would still have a list of priorities.

My kids like Old Ebbit Grill. Eating at the cafeterias in the museums can be fun too, but they do get very crowded. Again, less of an issue with just 2 of you. You're going to have a great trip!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We went from Arlington National Cemetery to the White House on our last trip a few months ago. It was definitely doable. If you don't get a White House tour, I recommend taking in the view from H St. vs the South Lawn because you feel closer to the White House, it isn't as crowded and you can get a good picture.

Spy Museum- buy your tickets now. They are timed tickets and they sell out. It is pretty cool. We at at Matchbox Pizza when we went b/c it was recommended and is close. It was good. Don't buy a ton b/c you will have leftovers.

We have hit the museums later in the afternoon and they are less crowded. Same with the zoo. We really like the American Indian Museum, especially the food court! (get some fry bread with honey )

We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt and I don't recommend it. Mad house with valet parking and elevator waits. My advice is to pick a more boutique type hotel (but not the Palomar- we were surrounded by party people even after we switched rooms). We used to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington Courthouse. Cute neighborhood w weekend farmers' market across the street and easy Metro ride in. But, I agree that I'd probably just stay in town.

I usually just rely on Urban Spoon now to pick restaurants and use the "nearby" feature. It wouldn't be a bad idea though to make some dinner reservations now. Either that or just plan for some hole in the wall, yummy ethnic restaurants as they don't tend to be as crowded. 'm not up on the current bests. We have a few staples but usually just wing it when there with the kids.

We skip Air and Space almost every time b/c my kids just aren't into it. But, it's great that everything is free so you can just pop into places and leave if you want to with no guilt.

Have fun!!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

White House tours are a pain to get, but I love the Capitol building tour, and those are super easy to get (book it here: http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/plan-...ur-the-capitol). The exhibit at the Capitol Visitor Center is really nice. I also really love the LOC, especially the Main Reading Room, so you can pop in there while you're at the Capitol, or do the Supreme Court.

The Spy Museum would be nice. Another option is the Newseum. Neither of those are free though.

The Building Museum is awesome and they will have this cool maze exhibit this summer: http://www.nbm.org/exhibitions-colle...-big-maze.html
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

I have not been to the Newseum, but my older DD has been a couple times on field trips and it is one of her favorites.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    White House tours are a pain to get, but I love the Capitol building tour, and those are super easy to get (book it here: http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/plan-...ur-the-capitol). The exhibit at the Capitol Visitor Center is really nice. I also really love the LOC, especially the Main Reading Room, so you can pop in there while you're at the Capitol, or do the Supreme Court.

The Spy Museum would be nice. Another option is the Newseum. Neither of those are free though.

The Building Museum is awesome and they will have this cool maze exhibit this summer: http://www.nbm.org/exhibitions-colle...-big-maze.html
    Thanks for the Capitol link. I didn't realize it was so easy.

FYI- the maze doesn't start til July 4 and ends Sept. 1.

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

At that age, Mount Vernon was a HUGE hit. My 8 yr old son loved it as did the rest of the family. It was a nice laid back day for us.

ETA: 2nd favorite was Ford Theatre.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would recommend a kimpton hotel. They are fun, boutique-y, and do extra touches for special visits. Free wifi if you join their honors program (free). Love Kimpton!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast