Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I second the W rec. the location really can't be beat, and the rooftop has one of the best views in dc (not sure if it is a bar or a restaurant these days. The Willard is also right there but is a more formal place. Tons of restaurants in that immediate area and 7th street. Jaleo is one of my favorites and they have a nice lunch menu.

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can also request tours of the Capitol, Library of Congress, Supreme Court, Pentagon, Bureau of Engraving, and/or White House through your local representative. Might be worth a shot in order to better your chances of getting a WH tour.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The W would definitely be a good place to stay. It's the old Hotel Washington, and it has that amazing roof top deck that overlooks the White House. I also have a soft spot for the Willard. I know you're with your DS, but if you and your DH can get away, the Round Robin and Scotch bar at the Williard is historic and fun. The legend is that the term lobbyist was coined in the lobby of the Willard by President Grant because he used to go to the bar there and people would hang about to ask him for favors in the lobby. But I think I read that it isn't actually true (that he called them lobbyists because of that. It is true that he frequented the bar).
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

jayali is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have done the Willard with my son and he loved it. Very centrally located which was the selling point for us. Also, we booked a 'private evening tour' of the monuments. It was a towncar that took us to the monuments lit up at night. They were less crowded and we got to do all of them at once. My son loved that - concierge recommended it. worth EVERY penny. spy museum was a big hit as well.

lyt202 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Just catching up on this thread. The Willard and W are both great option for hotels. Another good centrally situated hotel is the a Hotel Monaco which is right near the Spy Museum and the National Portrait Gallery and a short walk to the mall. Two of the restaurants we like for kids in that area are Jaleo (tapas) and Zaytinya (mezze). The Building Museum is also fun and the mini-golf should be set up by July.

If you don't like crowds I would not plan on spending too much time in Georgetown. The main shopping area is always crowded and filled with mostly chains stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2