Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default More London Questions

We're taking the whole family to London in just a few weeks (June). Our kids are 9 and 6, and we will be staying in Westminster. Looking for some kid-friendly restaurant recommendations, my kids are medium adventurous eaters. Also, any places off the beaten path we should make time for?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We were in London last June with 7 and 3 year old. There are restaurants and cafes everywhere - rather than trying to beeline for a particular place, look for the closest fish and chips shop, or curry joint or whatever it is you think they'll eat. We found good food everywhere. My kids' absolute favorite thing was riding the double decker bus! And the London Eye, of course. DD1 really liked the British Museum and Natural History Museum - it's wonderful that the museums are free, so you can take them in small doses rather than feeling compelled to spend several hours there to get your money's worth. At your kids' ages, you should make sure to see the Tower of London as well.

for Sandy Hook

lele is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

The Science Museum was fun--it had an area for hands on stuff for kids. Mine liked the HMS Belfast--an old war ship that you go on and tour at your own pace. The Princess Diana playground is so fun. Food--there is no lack of things. I can't think of anything specific--we always do lots of pubs.
    Lele, mom to 3

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If planning to do the Tower, you should remember your kids' school IDs (if they have them) as you may be able to get a discounted rate (student) for admission.

I went in high school and had left my school ID card at home, so had to pay the full adult rate. I loved it but do recommend getting there early if you want to see the crown jewels - the queue moves quite well, but it can still be long.

And don't try to pet the ravens; they nip! (There are warnings posted everywhere.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Imperial War Museum is off the beaten path and totally my favorite museum in London. I think that my kids also liked the V&A.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This was before kids , but one of the things that we enjoyed most was going to Greenwich. We loved the area, the National Maritime Museum, and the town is adorable.You can also stand over the Prime Meridian there, which is the kind of geeky thing my kids would love.

I also really loved Kew Gardens.

Both of these are nice places to visit after seeing museum/palace heavy sites.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I took my children to London a few summers ago and I think the only thing they remember is eating at Yo Sushi. It is a chain and there is one in Paddington Station, another other in Harvey Nichols I think. I would look it up. It is a conveyor belt sushi restaurant and a real kick for kids. Have fun!

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I second Greenwich...the Maritime Museum is fun! Also, remember that museums are typically free in London, so if you want to head over to the National Art Gallery for a half hour, it's not a big deal If your kids like Italian, then Carluccio's is a nice choice. There are several in the city. http://www.carluccios.com/restaurants
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

lele is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Imperial War Museum is closed until July 19th--they've been getting ready for the 100 year anniversary of WWI. I've wanted to go the last 2 times we have visited...will be closed this time as well. Oh well, good excuse to go back again
    Lele, mom to 3

Thanks for all the great tips. Leaving soon, can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast