khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Montreal for weekend

My husband is turning 40 this summer and I'm trying to think of things we could do for his birthday. It would be just him and I. We live pretty close to Montreal so I am thinking maybe a visit there for the weekend? We are in Northern VT. I have been to Montreal numerous times but it was as a teenager/college student, so my idea of fun then consisted of underage drinking and alot of it!

Can someone recommend a nice hotel to stay in? What area of the city should I be looking at? Things to do? We'd probably drive up on a Friday afternoon, his birthday is Saturday and we'd come home on Sunday.

Thanks!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

I love the old city in Montreal. It feels to me like a trip to pseudo Europe! I rarely leave that part if the city and enjoy exercising my French!

There are lots of nice hotels and small inns. I like the Hotel Nelligan and the others in that area (behind the Cathedral as opposed to farther right when you're facing the cathedral from the water.)

Auberge Bonaparte does a really, really tasty dinner! It's pricey, but worth it!

We like to do a carriage ride, see the super cheesy "laser light show" at the cathedral (which is really a movie of a quality akin to an after school special. We live it!) we always go to the archeological museum and the science museum (which has IMAX), and we visit all the historic houses with people in period costume and all the old churches. All of that is in Old Town.

Thanks. That place looks really nice. Now I just need to call my MIL and see if she will watch the kids that weekend.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We stayed at the Hotel Saint Sulpice in Old Montreal after our wedding 11 years ago. It was lovely. It's a smaller boutique hotel on a side street. I haven't been back since but it still seems to get good reviews.
    http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/

Tons of nice stuff to do in Montreal in the summer. Once you know your dates, check if you will be there for the jazz Fest or the comedy fest. Both are lots of fun. I can't remember the name of the street (just know how to drive there) but there is a large area only for pedestrians with street performers and all sorts of restaurants and cafes.
    http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/default-en.aspx
    http://www.hahaha.com/en
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

I'm really digging Hotel Nellligan. Looks really cool! The price is pretty expensive though. Not sure if I should look for a cheaper hotel, or just book it and splurge since its a special birthday. It will be $845 with tax for a petite suite (king bed, jacuzzi tub, fireplace) for 2 nights.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went last summer and loved it--especially Old Montreal. But, if you have time, consider going to Quebec City instead. It's a 4 hour (I think!) drive from Montreal and you feel like you've stepped back in time. Such a beautiful town with so much to do!

ETA--didn't mean to suggest that Montreal isn't just as awesome, at all! We were there during the Jazz festival and just fell in love with the city and the people! I just think fewer Americans have Quebec City on their radar and that it was amazing (but crowded because we were there during a festival).
    Last edited by baymom; 05-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.

I dont think I want to sit in a car for 4 hours to see Quebec City. Looks nice though!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khalloc View Post
    I dont think I want to sit in a car for 4 hours to see Quebec City. Looks nice though!
    I have been to both Montreal and Quebec a few times, and have to agree with the suggestion to go to Quebec. I know it is more of a drive, but it is so beautiful and unique. I would go there and stay at the Frontinac.

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    I have been to both Montreal and Quebec a few times, and have to agree with the suggestion to go to Quebec. I know it is more of a drive, but it is so beautiful and unique. I would go there and stay at the Frontinac.
    Well, I'll say not to feel bad about missing Quebec City. I wanted to go for years, and we had a terrible time! I faaaaar prefer Montreal!

If the Hotel Nelligan is too pricey, do a bit more research. Really, all the boutique hotels in that area are lovely, and I think you'll be happy at any of them. The small inns are an adventure. Some of them are great, but some are pretty basic.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I loved the hotel Le Square Phillips. HUGE rooms and great location. Super friendly staff. It's about a 10-minute walk from old town. We found several great restaurants, too.