Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fitbit - hype?

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default fitbit - hype?

Each time I think that the fitbit would be a good thing for me and am about to pull the trigger, I start to wonder is this just a glorified pedometer, and I back off. But again I start seeing the value. So, I am on a fence and am really stuck there. I would love to hear opinions about before and after purchase and what how you use it. I am considering the fitbit flex.
    Also, are there alternatives to the fitbit? another company that makes similar products? are there apps that do the same thing?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I got the garmin vivofit last week I liked the features like waterproof to 50 m. And the watch and changeable band. The vivofit also has a battery so no charging
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I have a Fitbit Flex. I got it a few weeks ago, and have seen a marked improvement in my motivation to be active. I like that I can tap it at any time to see where I am in terms of steps. I also like the way it interacts with my iPhone, and the ability to link it to MFP. I do wish it had a watch component.
    Green Tea, mom to three

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

i did some youtube research on the different bands they have a couple good multi band reviews. I live about 15 miles from the beach and will be walking /running more there when the kids go back to school water proof is a biggie You can swim with the Garmin Vivofit. I do a walk/ jog combo so distance & time I mark with the vivofit I used to do it with the app on my phone. And Costco on line has them Ifigured if I didn't like it I'd take it back ( they have a bundle where you get a purple & back band ...both large & small. It also syncs with MFP and you can join groups for buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grI88ko7904
    Last edited by JBaxter; 08-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I love my fitbit one, but wouldn’t have bought it for myself as I was happy with my pedometer. DH loved his and wanted me to have one. I have significantly increased my activity level with it. I average many more steps now than I did the first few weeks I wore it. I love the community part and competing with DH and others, that it tracks stairs and sleep, and it sends you a weekly report. It’s also less intrusive than the old pedometer (I wear it in my bra. I would not like wearing the arm band). The battery lasts a long time and it takes little time to recharge it. I do it when I am reading emails. It is also more accurate than my old pedometer. So I do love it and have great things to say about it and think it was a great gift, but I was happy with my old pedometer, too. It is one of those things where I was fine without it. Now that I have it, I love it.

I have a fitbit flex, but am only on day two of wearing it, as it was part of a package deal thing I got with my new iPhone. I do like it so far, and had considered getting one before, but like you I was hesitant to spend that much on it.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

onyx8 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Fitbit is waterproof, dh and I wear them in the pool all the time

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you all for the info so far.
    Gymnbomb, what is the deal? Where did you get it? I ask because I am up for an upgrade in my iPhone.

At the verizon store they had a package deal with the fitbit, car charger, case, and 3 pack of screen protectors. I don't remember the exact price of it (low $100's) but if you bought the package they took $12 off your phone bill each month so that in less than a year you came out ahead buying the package even if you weren't going to buy any of its components, and we would have gotten cases and car chargers anyway.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by onyx8 View Post
    Fitbit is waterproof, dh and I wear them in the pool all the time
    I don't think this is 100% true. The Zip and One say "splash, rain proof" and say not to wear them swimming. The Flex can be worn swimming. But, maybe they are more waterproof than they say on their site. I've never tried.
    Kris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast