Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We just visited DC with the kids over spring break. Hotels in downtown DC were very expensive that week- like $300+ for a Hampton Inn. We ended up at the Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavillion, which is right on the DC/MD border. The friendship heights metro station runs right under the hotel and it was very convenient to get around. It is only 3 stops to the zoo, and about a 15-20 minute ride to the mall/museum area. The rates were much more reasonable, and you get two rooms, which is nice for kids. They also had a free hot breakfast which saved time and money in the mornings.

We had a wonderful time, but I don't think I would go during spring break again. The lines and crowds were far worse than I imagined. I felt like we spent half our time in line- it was hard just to see exhibits because people were 4 deep pushing to get close to the glass. Then again, I hate crowds so my tolerance could be way less than yours.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I'll have to google HOV

I guess we need to decide if we want to stay in Annapolis for the entire time or just for a few days and 'do Annapolis' those days and then visit DC from a more local hotel. We are thinking spring break, which is the week after Easter next year. I imagine it'll be super busy that week.
    Sorry. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. HOV2 means you only need 2 people in your car to qualify (as opposed to HOV3, which is what the HOV lanes are on 395, which is what I take).

Congress will probably be in recess at that time, which really cuts back on the traffic because a lot of the jobs here are more flexible when Congress isn't in session. But it's true that the crowds at the tourist attractions are insane. Lots of school groups. But you can plan things that won't be quite as hectic.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SummerBaby View Post
    We just visited DC with the kids over spring break. Hotels in downtown DC were very expensive that week- like $300+ for a Hampton Inn. We ended up at the Embassy Suites Chevy Chase Pavillion, which is right on the DC/MD border. The friendship heights metro station runs right under the hotel and it was very convenient to get around. It is only 3 stops to the zoo, and about a 15-20 minute ride to the mall/museum area. The rates were much more reasonable, and you get two rooms, which is nice for kids. They also had a free hot breakfast which saved time and money in the mornings.

We had a wonderful time, but I don't think I would go during spring break again. The lines and crowds were far worse than I imagined. I felt like we spent half our time in line- it was hard just to see exhibits because people were 4 deep pushing to get close to the glass. Then again, I hate crowds so my tolerance could be way less than yours.
    Would you go in June or July instead? I think I'd pick crowds over heat. But, not a fan of huge crowds!

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Sorry. HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. HOV2 means you only need 2 people in your car to qualify (as opposed to HOV3, which is what the HOV lanes are on 395, which is what I take).

Congress will probably be in recess at that time, which really cuts back on the traffic because a lot of the jobs here are more flexible when Congress isn't in session. But it's true that the crowds at the tourist attractions are insane. Lots of school groups. But you can plan things that won't be quite as hectic.
    I actually figured it out before googling . I'm in Detroit. I think we are all about everyone owning their own vehicle, so not so much carpool lanes, public transportation, etc unfortunately.

I knew it would be a busy time, but now am wondering if we should try a different time? What do you recommend? Thanksgiving week? Summer?
    Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think that spring break is particularly bad because 1) many people come to DC for spring break, 2) the local spring breakers and spring break camps go to the museums, and 3) it often overlaps with the Cherry Blossom Festival.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We could go spring break 2016. Ours always includes the first Monday of April, so with Easter 2016 being March 27, we'd have a week in between. Kids would be bummed to wait. DS1 is really looking forward to it and since he didn't want to go to Disney, it would be nice if he had one to look forward to!
    Kris

I don't think there's anything wrong with coming over Spring break. Honestly, anywhere you go at that time of year will have crowds. And it's a beautiful time to be here. Now, I've lived in big cities with a significant tourist component my entire adult life, so I'm used to crowds and lots of tourists and it just doesn't phase me any more. DC in the spring is lovely. I'm not sure when Easter is next year, or when school break will be, but it is definitely more crowded if it falls over cherry blossom time, but totally worth it because it is so beautiful.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

I don't think there's anything wrong with coming over Spring break. Honestly, anywhere you go at that time of year will have crowds. And it's a beautiful time to be here. Now, I've lived in big cities with a significant tourist component my entire adult life, so I'm used to crowds and lots of tourists and it just doesn't phase me any more. DC in the spring is lovely. I'm not sure when Easter is next year, or when school break will be, but it is definitely more crowded if it falls over cherry blossom time, but totally worth it because it is so beautiful.
    Easter is April 5 next year.
    Kris

Yup, you will be here during the Cherry Blossom Festival if you come that week. This is both good and bad. Very crowded, but there's a good reason that people make the treck and endure the crowds. I think it's worth it.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Yup, you will be here during the Cherry Blossom Festival if you come that week. This is both good and bad. Very crowded, but there's a good reason that people make the treck and endure the crowds. I think it's worth it.

Good to hear! We'll likely have 7 days there, with 1 on each end for driving. So, hopefully we can space things out a bit and not just be in crowds all day everyday!
    Kris

I don't think there's anything wrong with coming over Spring break. Honestly, anywhere you go at that time of year will have crowds. And it's a beautiful time to be here. Now, I've lived in big cities with a significant tourist component my entire adult life, so I'm used to crowds and lots of tourists and it just doesn't phase me any more. DC in the spring is lovely.
    Yeah, I'm with ML on this one. DC is beautiful in the spring. Now, of course this year April decided it was still winter, and we got snow. But that's unusual. BTW, Fairfax County (huge DC area school district) has spring break Mar 30 - Apr 3. DCPS is the week of Apr. 13.

If the choice is April or July, hands down April. June isn't as bad. But keep in mind, DC is crowded with tourists in June and July, as well as grumpy residents looking forward to their August vacations. And for goodness sake, stand on the right when you're on a Metro escalator.

I think DC is one of the best places to vacation, especially with kids. There's so much to do, and most of it is free.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast