Thread: Lancaster, PA

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Lancaster, PA

Going to Dutch wonderland - Memorial Day weekend (I know... crazy!) but is there anything in that area that is also worth seeing? We are staying for 2 nights. Have a 5 yr old DD.

Thanks !
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

My SIL lives near there & has 3 little kids, so I messaged her and here's what she said:

"If they want to see Amish, they could go to the Leola Produce Auction to see how they sell the flowers and produce. And the Leola park would be just down the road a bit from there. There is also the hands on house children's museum in Lancaster. Or the Lancaster Science Factory (but that might be better for a little bit older ages). There is a really good ice cream shop on Prince street (across from the Fulton Opera House). The ice cream shop is right around the corner from Lancaster Central Market, which I think is open on Tuesdays."

My in-laws also live near there and they have mentioned the Hands On House (I guess that's the same place she's referring to) as being fun for little kids.

ETA: SIL just wrote back to add this: "There is also a 50's diner called DJ's really close to Dutch Wonderland. I had a friend who went there last week and she said it was really neat."
    Last edited by RedSuedeShoes; 05-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Love visiting this area:

National Toy Train Museum - http://www.nttmuseum.org/
    Strasburg Railroad - http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
    Outlet Shopping
    Kitchen Kettle Village
    Plus lots of ideas here - http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

The Turkey Hill experience is cute. It's small - easy to get through in 1-2 hours. Includes unlimited ice cream and iced tea samples!

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Cherry Crest Farms is nice. And of course, an Amish buggy ride!
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If it's a beautiful day and they are open - Cherry crest farms is amazing for a 5 year old. you can spend the whole day. FYI I believe they are closed sundays, and in rain - it's all outside. Maybe too much with Dutch WOnderland back to back though. we would be exhausted. We like going there in the fall when it's cooler and the corn maze is open. I think you can do a picnic lunch there - but their food prices aren't too bad.

We just did Turkey Hill Expierience 2 weeks ago and also had a great time. Probably spent at least 3 hours there with a 4,6 & 8 year old. You would need advance tickets on the weekend if you wanted to do the ice cream lab (separate timed admission) which was fun (30 minutes to make your own flavor pint). Between that and the free ice cream sammples the whole time - i think i ate a gallon! HA! Good if it rains. GREAT if you love ice cream.

We do like Hands on house too - -i think 5 is the perfect age. Smaller version of a kids museum, but we could easily spend 2-3 hours there. ALso good for rainy day.

Lancaster Science center is small and fun - - but i think a little better for ages 6-10.... yet my younger kids loved running around an playing with all the experiements. Nice one room layout - so it's easy to watch watch your kids in there. FYI - part of ASTC so if you have any other museum memberships - you can get in there for free.

My kids wouldn't be impressed at that age with most of the amish attractions - - except maybe a buggy ride. I hear good things about Abe's buggy rides in Blue Ball and pass them all the time - but never did it. My kds also aren't impressed with outlet shopping or kitchen kettle village - yet I AM!

If your religious - i have heard good things about the Sight and Sound theater, but have never been there.

We did STrasburg railroad when Thomas was there - close to DW - but again unless your a HUGE train entusiast i think there are better choices to see and do.

Which way are you coming from? Hershey isn't too far - and you can stop in JUST to do the Chocolate factory tour, 4D movie, or make your own candy. They also have a nice food court and gift shopping. You can go into Chocolate world WITHOUT going into Hershey Park..... chocolate world is free to get in.... and the ride inside is free. You also get 2-3 hours of free parking if you are going into chocolate world ONLY - - you have to follow signs so you don't end up in the hershey park parking. We have actually stopped there once or twice JUST to eat at the food court and do the free ride and get ice cream - - while passing by that location to/from somewhere. Maybe a good idea for coming to the area, or leaving the area. ALways check their website for the "sweet savings" coupons - - last time we were there I got 20% off the food court purchase, and buy one get one free for the 4d movie - which is REALLY fun and cute (30 minutes).
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 05-13-2014 at 09:41 AM.