cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Anything to do near JFK?

I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions of things to do near JFK. We are flying into JFK from Germany and will spend 4 days in Manhattan. We are then going to fly out of LGA to Denver for 3 weeks and fly back one day before our flight back to Germany out of JFK. Our flight from Denver will get in at 6:00 p.m. Our flight back isn't until 5:00 p.m. the next day. I'm debating if we should stay in Manhattan for the one night and do some more sightseeing the morning before our flight or just stay closer to the airport. WWYD?
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No, really nothing near JFK. When we lived in the area, my DH and I used to always make sure to have Trinidadian food at the roti shops near JFK but that's the main highlight for us! I would stay in Manhattan.

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, JFK is on the backside of the backside of the NY Metro.

Stay in Manhattan - there's more to do and better ways to get to it. You can take a shuttle or the AirTrain from JFK to midtown - pricing varies, but the shuttle will likely be more convenient for you with a lot of baggage.

Look for SuperShuttle for the shuttle van service (one way - if staying in Manhattan, your hotel may be able to transport you to LGA for your next leg) or read up on the AirTrain. AirTrain may be a little confusing, though, because you used to need to switch at some point to get onto the LIRR if I'm remembering correctly.

SuperShuttle website:http://www.supershuttle.com/Location...leNewYork.aspx

AirTrain info: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

Hope this helps!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely stay in the city.

cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought, but wanted confirmation from the BBB! I think after 3 weeks of travel we are going to be burnt out, but maybe we can just walk around or hit Central Park again and let the kids burn up some energy before the flight home.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

Nechums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nothing to do, unless you have a car and then you can take advantage of stuff farther out on Long Island. But since I imagine you won't be renting a car for less than one day, I would also just go back into the city.
    Proud mom to
    DS1, Sept 2008
    DS2, Apr 2011
    DD, Oct 2012