flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Will my milk stay frozen?

How well does the Medela bag with the blue ice pack work in keeping breast milk frozen for 8-9 hrs? Any tricks like adding ice that I should consider? If the bottles do unthaw, how strict is that use within 24 hr rule - could I stretch that to 36-48 hrs?

If not and I need to use formula - which my DD2 has never had - should I play it safe and use Alimentum because my DD1 had a milk protein allergy (bloody diapers and extreme fussiness in otherwise happy baby after 2 oz of formula at 4 months) or give regular formula a try? Or something in the middle like Gerber Good Start with it's partially digested milk protein.

Thank you and sorry so many questions!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you pack it right, you should be fairly good for 8 hours. If you fridge it immediately, you might be OK to go 36 as long as the temp never drops below the fridge-temp.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thank you!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you traveling or shipping? I personally didn't freeze if I had to travel with milk just for the risk of it thawing. I would travel with pumped milk refrigerated and then replenish ice packs/ice as needed. Then I could freeze it once I arrived home.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Are you traveling or shipping? I personally didn't freeze if I had to travel with milk just for the risk of it thawing. I would travel with pumped milk refrigerated and then replenish ice packs/ice as needed. Then I could freeze it once I arrived home.
    I am driving and don't have enough fresh bottles to get me through the day (Saturday)that I am leaving baby for 6-7 hrs. I have been co sleeping half the night and she just nurses like crazy and I have nothing to pump in the morning.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014