Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default UPATE: Patio furniture

UPDATE: I ended up buying a set from costco.

http://www.costco.com/Portofino-7-pi....11752812.html

The cushions are neutral, but I realized I can replace them later if I want (there are companies that make cushions to fit costco sets) and I will add colorful lumbar cushions and a colorful umbrella and rug. I looked at several websites and reviews, but Costco seems to give the best value for the quality, and you get their guarantee. The downside is less customization. I decided against a retractable awning since we have late afternoon/evening shade in the back and I think we will use it more around that time, but of course I got a huge umbrella to help give shade as needed.

------

I am looking for a patio dining set that seats 6-8 and is made of quality, rust free, durable material. We keep things until they die, so I would like it to last for a long time. I like some of the Costco sets (they look like colored stone) but I wasn't crazy about the chairs that came with the larger table. I also like color and Costco tends to sell neutrals.

I want a table and chairs and an umbrella (I'm also considering a retractable awning).

I don't want wood, as much as I like the LOOK of it, because I want it to be low maintenance. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 06-14-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Do you have an Ikea nearby?
    How about this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99932229/

I think it is made out of metal.
    We got the silver version last summer and it holds up really well outdoors.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a patio set made by Telescope, which is 24 years old and still going strong. The 60 in. diameter round table has a glass top with white coated metal frame and legs and the chairs have mesh sling seats so I don't have to bring the cushions in when it rains. The sling seats come in a large variety of colors. I have never brought this set in for the winter and it has held up so well. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm sure it depends on where you live, but I would never get a glass top table. They just can't stand up to the weather in my area. Give us one good hail storm or some strong winds, and they're broken.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    I'm sure it depends on where you live, but I would never get a glass top table. They just can't stand up to the weather in my area. Give us one good hail storm or some strong winds, and they're broken.
    I totally agree. One of my friends had both a glass table top and its replacement break during freak wind storms the same year. Years later she's still finding tiny shards in the grass and landscaping and her kids always have to wear shoes in their yard.

Thanks. I would avoid glass due to earthquakes, but it's good to know about the Telescope brand, which appears to be family owned. The ikea one is a great price and i like the look but it's a bit small.

I think I like the look of faux stone, too.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have a Crate&Barrel set that we got on clearance at the outlet. It's similar to this:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/outdoo...r-collection/1
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a cast aluminum set from Lowe's that is probably five years old and looks brand new. It's similar to this:
    http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...lue=4294652460
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I live in NJ, so not too many earthquakes. The first forecast for high wind, I just flip the table glass side down. So far, so good.

bump
    update in OP