Default If you use readers

Sigh... I think it's time I admit that I need some!

My eye doctor had recommended a 1.0 correction, but that was about a year ago and I feel like my eyes are worse (since it's bugging me more lately). Plus I figure that they're probably just going to get worse, so, I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to buy a 1.0 pair. Would it make more sense to buy a 1.25 or 1.50? What did you start with?

I'm leaning toward getting a "nicer" pair (like eye bobs). I had tried a cheapie drug store variety and it made me pretty dizzy. My eye doctor said it was probably too wide a frame for my face and the optical center of that pair was probably not right for me. The eye bobs seem to be narrower so I was thinking I'd try them, but they are a bit more expensive, so I'd like to pick a good correction level.

Then I'll go get my grays colored...

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I had my reading glasses "made" through the eye doctor. The first time I went fancy and paid some out of pocket after insurance. Two years later (insurance covers glasses every two years) I selected a set that was completely covered by insurance.

I have tried the drugstore brands and also felt dizzy. I don't know what eye bobs are, but if your insurance will cover glasses, I'd get a set made for you so you can pick your own frames.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

amyd is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

if you want to keep extra cheap pairs around I got a bunch at Big Lots .
    Was amyliv here since 2004. Mom of 2 blessings born in South Korea: DS 2004 DD 2006

I got mine at Nordstroms. They were around $40.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I started with 1.0 a year or so ago. Now I can't live without 1.25s. I don't get the drugstore ones but get them from a little local shop- they feel sturdier. I couldn't read a Motrin bottle without them.

Costco has them for cheap - not super pretty, but I like them because I never worry when the kids or anyone breaks them by mistake.

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love my Peepers. Tried them in a local store and loved one of the styles and colors they had, but they didn't have them in the strength I needed, so I ended up ordering them online. I thought I needed a 1.25 at the time, but that was based on me trying out a bunch in stores and using the Costco display they have to figure out strength. A month later, I had an eye exam and they told me I would do better with a stronger level, but I'm still fine using the 1.25 a year later. I bought the Peepers exactly a year ago but only recently found myself needing them a lot. I have three pairs, ranging in price from $11 to $15. My favorites are these: http://www.peeperspecs.com/Crystal_B...g_Glasses.html I also have this pair: http://www.peeperspecs.com/Slim-Line...eading-Glasses

So I think that at that strength and for first-time wear, you'd be fine starting out with 1.25. I remember feeling a little dizzy with a few pairs I tried out in drugstores but haven't had a problem with the ones I bought online.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School