ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Need logistics help: Traveling from Los Angeles to Seattle then to Vancouver, Canada

Posting here for traffic:

We're contemplating a trip from Los Angeles to Seattle (for a family's Celebration of Life) and then possibly to Vancouver, Canada (to also visit family)

We're traveling with a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

This will be our first family trip so a little confused with logistics and I'm hoping someone can give me advice:

1) How do you take the carseats and the pack-n-play (for my 2 yr old)??
    2) How long does it take to drive to/from Seattle and Vancouver? Is borders a total pain?
    3) should I buy a round trip ticket to Seattle and then drive to/from Vancouver? oR
    4) should I buy one way tickets from LAX to Seattle then another one way ticket from Vancouver to LAX (would that be crazy expensive?)
    5) Can I rent a car in Seattle but return it in Vancouver?
    6) Anyone taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver?

TIA

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I can only help with some of these.

1. Can the 5 yo ride in a booster - height/weight/maturity OK? Do you have time to train the 5yo to sit in a booster. If yes, then take a booster. Car seat for 2 year old. We had a light weight carseat that was our travel/spare seat and it wasn't an expensive seat. DS sat in it in the plane. 5 yo just sits in the plane seat. I wouldn't take a pack n play. See if family can borrow one from friends, or if staying in hotels they have portable cribs.

I don't know about how long it takes to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, or if the train is better. Generally round trip tickets are better than one way, or you can also price out a multi-stop trip, so LAX to Seattle to Vancouver to LAX. I'd play with different options on a site like orbitz as well as airline sites. Sometimes I've gotten better deal using the airline site.

Quote Originally Posted by ckso View Post
    Posting here for traffic:

We're contemplating a trip from Los Angeles to Seattle (for a family's Celebration of Life) and then possibly to Vancouver, Canada (to also visit family)

We're traveling with a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

This will be our first family trip so a little confused with logistics and I'm hoping someone can give me advice:

1) How do you take the carseats and the pack-n-play (for my 2 yr old)??
    2) How long does it take to drive to/from Seattle and Vancouver? Is borders a total pain?
    3) should I buy a round trip ticket to Seattle and then drive to/from Vancouver? oR
    4) should I buy one way tickets from LAX to Seattle then another one way ticket from Vancouver to LAX (would that be crazy expensive?)
    5) Can I rent a car in Seattle but return it in Vancouver?
    6) Anyone taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver?

TIA

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I doubt you can return a rental car in Canada and no5 sure if rental cars can cross the border...no idea on flights. Adults will need a passport for Canada , kids need a passport if flying into Canada.

I agree, ask family too borrow a pack n play, people are usually happy to lend them, just buy a sheet to bring, use hotel pack n play...wipe it down with Lysol wipes and bring your own sheet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If I were doing it with kids that age, I'd fly round trip to Seattle (assuming it is less than a trip into Seattle and out of Vancouver, which I think is likely) and rent a car at Sea-Tac to take to Canada and back (not a problem at all if you are a US citizen). No way I'd drive all the way from LA. I'd bring whatever car seats the kids normally use. If you don't want to bring them on the plane you can check them without charge. I'd bring the PNP too. Sounds like a great trip!

ETA: Only 2.5 hours from Seattle to Vancouver. Add an hour if a long border crossing (depends which one you use and what time you cross).

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We took the train from Vancouver to Seattle years ago, and it was no big deal. We have also taken a rental car into Canada. We did a one way rental dropping off in Toronto after picking up in the US. I'd be surprised if that was a problem in Seattle with so many folks making trips to Vancouver and Victoria.

The airlines with check car seats and strollers free of charge. If you're not bringing a stroller, sometimes they will take the PnP free if charge in it's stead, but you'll need to check first. Usually family can find someone who will lend a PnP on the other end. I'd do that instead if possible and just bring your own sheet.

I don't have other advice, but it sounds like a wonderful trip!