Default How do I get her to notice and mind being wet? Is it really easier to PT girls?

With my first child we only used disposables and he potty trained fully into underwear at 2 1/2. With my DD we switched to cloth and I started putting her on the potty regularly at 6 months. She is now poop trained and will tell me when she needs to poop and go to the potty. But she doesn't seem to mind peeing in her diaper and being wet. She will pee on the potty and sometime ask to go outside of our regular trips and pee but she won't tell me she needs a new diaper if she is wet. I've tried using Gerber cotton training underwear which she loves wearing but it's the same result--she doesn't care if they get wet.

I always heard that it was easier to train babies who had been CD and being a girl I assumed it would be easier. I think the poop training is really the result of the early use of the potty. What am I doing wrong? How do I get her to recognize when she is wet and get her to want to stay dry? Thanks!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You are doing nothing wrong. Sounds like she is just not ready. She is not even 2.5 so I honestly would just wait.

Also cloth diapering is not a guarantee of pting early. I cloth diapered both my kiddos from birth and ds still did not pt until 3.5. Dd used cloth until 20 mos and she pted at 3.

For me I just waited until they were 100% ready and it was very easy, especially DD.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

She is still VERY young. Looking at your signature she is not even two yet. Give her time.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We followed the "early" signs of potty training readiness for dd1, and she was totally trained by about 2.5 (day and night). That said, it was so muh more drama than I've seen withy my friends' kids who've waited until much later to train. With dd2 (who is at least two or three months older than your dd) we have been putting her on the potty when she asks, but we are not pushing it in any way, and jn fact at this point I'm trying to discourage it. Our dd still can't even get her own pants up and down reliably, can't climb onto the potty alone, and is only vaguely aware of wetness. We will wait until she's closer to three to do a pt push.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with PPs that it sounds like she's just not ready yet. Keep doing what you are doing and it will come in time. My 24 mo old has no concept of pee. She knows when she has to poop and will tell us, but doesn't always go when we put her on the potty. Most of the time she plays on the potty and then poops as soon as we put her diaper back on. She will ask for a new diaper when she is heavily wet, but otherwise is unaware and not bothered by pee.

I also agree with others who have said that it seems to be easier to train when they are 100% ready. With my DS, it just happened with very little effort from me other than providing a readily accessible potty. But he was 3 yrs, 3 mos.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012