Default Big Island suggestions?

We are going to the Big Island this summer for a family reunion. We will be in Kailua-Kona half the time and near Volcano National Park the other half. Am looking for suggestions on things to do with the kids, places to eat, and any other tips on traveling around the island. We were there for our honeymoon many years ago but this is the first time with kids. We will have a kitchen as DS2 has food allergies, so also want to pick up groceries during our stay.

Thanks!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's been years since we've been, but we went and took older DD when she was 4.5.

Places we went that she enjoyed (other than the Volcanoes National Park, which was a huge hit) were....

Punalu'u Black Sand Beach
    Hapuna Beach
    Kahaluu Beach Park
    the Hamakua Coast and a short hike in to see Akaka Falls and Kahuna Falls

We ate a couple times at the Kona Brewing Company.

We bought groceries at the Costco near the Kona airport and took stuff with us everywhere. It's so expensive there!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hilo recs:

Hilo Bay Cafe
    Cafe Pesto
    Lucy's Taqueria
    Ken's House of Pancakes

Akaka Falls is a nice walk
    There's a small botanical garden.
    Coco Bay is fun to walk through.

You must eat at Full Moon Cafe in hilo. The chef is amazing! On the other side of the island check out Puukohala Heiau and The City of Refuge. Eat breakfast at Hawaiian Style Cafe (great playground nearby too).
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can do a night dive/snorkel trip with the manta ray off the coast. DH dove and I snorkeled with DC and they still talk about it. It's a bit expensive, but truly breathtaking. The divers shine strong torch lights up and the snorkelers hold a ring of bright lights shining down. The light attracts plankton which the manta feed on. We must have seen two dozen and they are SO CLOSE, as in the'll brush against your body, close (but it's illegal to touch them). They are massive and elegant and graceful and it's like watching an underwater ballet. DC were 7 & 8 when they did it, close to the age of your kids. It's a must-do, if you have a free night!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I recommend picking up Big Island Revealed. Theses guidebooks are SPOT ON. They point to some places off the beaten path as well, but the popularity of the books has also been increasing, so expect to see other tourists looking for the same thing you are, with their noses in this book We went there years ago so I don't know if my recs still apply but Big Island is AMAZING. I actually wish we had spent more time in Volcanos National Park - it's crazy amazing and I actually loved the cooler/chilly weather.

Big Island will be tough to pack for though since you need beach clothes as well as chilly/rainy weather clothes - so just be prepared Read up on safety in Volcanos national park if you will be hiking to see the lava which is not something I really recommend doing with little kids actually. But if you do be prepared with good hiking shoes (NOT SANDALS), LONG pants, GLOVES, first aid kit, WATER, and have a good long talk with your kids about respecting nature. We saw far too many kids poking the lava with sticks, running around, etc - so scary! The silica that cracks as it cools on the surface of the hardened lava is as sharp as glass - no joke. I had a rainjacket around my waist that dragged on the lava at one point when I was climbing up - it sliced a gash through the material as if it were a knife. I mean, I seriously wondered whether I had cut it with scissors and just didn't realize! We saw and helped with a pretty nasty accident when we were hiking back at night (two guys hiking with only Tevas, and no flashlight, and shorts and one of them tripped and fell). I am sure the guy needed stitches but we got the bleeding stopped with a combo of our first aid kit and theirs, and hiked back with them - they still had to drive 30 min to nearest hospital when we got to their car but they were ok. The worst wound literally looked like someone took a knife and slashed it across the back of his hand. The ones on his legs weren't as bad. So be careful!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-23-2014 at 10:22 AM.

I second the rec for The Big Island Revealed. Great guide books!!

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Totally agree with snorkeling/scuba diving with the manta rays! A must do!
    Big Island Revealed has a lot of good info.
    Other fun things besides the Volcanoes park (though the last couple times we've gone we just hang out at the beach and pool the whole time because that's what the kids wanted and we didn't even bother renting a car):
    Fair Winds snorkel cruise
    Snorkeling at Kahalu'u
    Akaka Falls
    Malasadas at Tex Drive In (on the way to Hilo)
    One of these days I want to visit the seahorse farm too.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Thanks again! I have The Big Island Revealed tour book from the library and will be bringing it with us.