Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Autism like symptoms but without the language or social delay?

DS3 is extremely social and precociously verbal. But he exhibits a lot of the extreme rigidity that I've seen among my friends that have kids with autism. Can a child have a diagnosis of autism without social or language delay? DS3 is VERY smart but wickedly stubborn and needs routine like I've never seen. He comes completely unglued if one of his toys breaks or if I don't follow the proper series of things to do to get in the car, for example. It is very taxing but my pediatrician pretty much said that without the stereotypical delays I don't really have any resources.

Any advice?

Thank you!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

These are all symptoms of ADHD, ODD, anxiety, and OCD. And also being a toddler.

Younger DD was EXACTLY like this. She is ADHD-hyperactive and I suspect a little OCD.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS2 is older now (almost 6), but was just like that at 3. I lost count of the number of people who told me that he needed an autism eval (including his ped). His preschool teacher and my MIL (former elementary special ed teacher) were convinced that it wasn't autism. We finally found a great therapist who informally diagnosed him with classic anxiety. We haven't had a second opinion, but after about 9 months of working with her he is a completely different child. It can still be challenging, but he's come a very long way.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Nephew did not have speech delay and did not have a social delay with adults. Other children was a different story He was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 5
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wouldn't that typically be a diagnosis of PDD-NOS? Basically it was my understanding (in very simple terms) that to diagnose autism you may have to have maybe 4 out of 6 typical symptoms. If you didnt quite meet the 4, they may still be on the spectrum, but would probably get a PDD-NOS diagnosis instead of official autism diagnosis.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I forget how old your DS3 is but IIRC, still quite young. DS has Asperger's. He was diagnosed at age 7.5. As a toddler he had no language delays. He was actually very verbal and was much more advanced verbally than his peers. At that age there were really no visible social delays. It was around age 6.5 that most of his symptoms became more apparent because they were no longer age appropriate. Having spoken with other parents of kids similar to DS, this is very typical of high functioning kids on the spectrum. DS did always like routine and had very specific rituals when playing but it never seemed completely out of the typical realm compared to his peers. He would get upset if things were not "just so".

I think at a young age it's very difficult to make some of these diagnosis. Not saying your DS has autism, just that IME, it's not such a simple diagnosis and can really change with age. DS's Dr says that he will always have autism because that's just how his brain works, but he potentially won't test as being on the spectrum as he ages and matures and learns certain skills.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS2 is 6 and sounds very much like your son. He is extremely verbal and very social. He still, however, has tantrums and likes things to be the way he imagines them to be. He is stubborn and often difficult to be around. He fixates on things and has imaginary friends too numerous to name. He was just diagnosed with anxiety.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, you've described my DS. though, at 3 he did have some social challenges with other kids - he related much better to adults. he's always been incredibly vocal and his social skills have grown enormously in the last year or two. at this point we've heard the same thing you've heard - "oh he's SO social, no way he can be on the spectrum."

we know he struggles with anxiety.

after lots of hunting and searching and knocking on doors, we're having our initial eval meeting with a psychologist in two weeks that happens to specialize in both spectrum disorders, as well as anxiety and mood disorders - the hope is that given her expertise, she will be able to tease out what's what.

good luck. it's really, REALLY hard when you're not sure what's going on...and more importantly, how to best cope/manage/parent
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Based on the criteria for autism, I would not say your DS is on the spectrum, especially since you say he is extremely social. Here is a link for the current DSM-V criteria at the CDC website- Autism Diagnostic Criteria.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

PP brought up a good point, is he social with all or only family/adults/etc.? I am sorry things are so challenging.
    K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast