citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default How to get rid of musty smell in a clothes drawer?

The main dresser I use has 3 drawers. One of them has been made completely useless because I mistakenly threw in a wool shawl that was gifted to me - not knowing it stank of mothballs and general mustiness. It's where I store my wool and silk clothing, all the "dry clean only" stuff, all of which now stinks to high heavens. Gah. I am airing out and dry cleaning (and tossing) the clothes, but what do to about the smelliness of the drawer itself? I will confess I left the dang shawl in there for close to a year before getting rid of it!

The drawer/dresser is made of solid cherry wood, and is currently airing on the deck in the backyard. Still smells though. Thanks for any advice!

for Sandy Hook

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Try a box of baking soda; for drawers, I like the brand-name ones with the removable sides so there's no spillage:

http://www.armandhammer.com/deodoriz...n-freezer.aspx

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Try a box of baking soda; for drawers, I like the brand-name ones with the removable sides so there's no spillage:

http://www.armandhammer.com/deodoriz...n-freezer.aspx

I was going to say the same thing. If it doesn't work and you're planning to toss things, you might try coffee grounds.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks, ladies! I see Martha Stewart recommends vinegar in a plastic container with holes punched at the top (might make the drawer smell like vinegar!). I also came across this suggestion of using charcoal.

I think I'll try baking soda first. Least smelly, least messy, easily available. Should I put the drawer back in the dresser to do so, or leave it airing outside? In other words, does the baking soda only work in a closed space?

for Sandy Hook

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is the inside of the drawer finished? You might try sanding it down if not. Whenever you think it's ready for use again I'd put a towel or newspaper inside for awhile to double check before you fill it with clothes.