Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Shoot Me Now - Shopping for Interview Basics

OK, so I've gained far too much weight to even attempt getting into my post-college suits, and even my Ann Taylor tropical weight wool suit isn't going to get over my hips at this point.

While I haven't got anything scheduled at the moment, I'm coming to the realization that I probably need interview clothes. And I might as well get them now rather than scramble later. There's not much worse than wearing an ill-fitting suit to an interview because you were in a hurry to buy SOMETHING.

I have several Boden wrap dresses because they fit me well, but I don't feel like they're professional or "conservative" enough to wear to interviews.

I'm roughly a size 14 on the top, but a 16/18 curvy on the bottom. I also need a "tall" or something that runs "long" - a standard misses' inseam length of 32" is too short for me, so I need at least a 34" inseam in pants.

Being a very pale brunette, black & gray suits tend to wash me out.
    I prefer chocolate brown, but will go with navy blue if I must.

Point me please?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The Nordstrom 1/2 yearly womens sale is going on now, you can start there. If you like your AT suit, get another. I think a dress with a blazer works, unless you're in a conservative industry.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Liz, when I lived closer to you, I used to get tons of work clothing at Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge Mall. I always found that they had nice work selections that were appropriate but not frumpy in their suit and dress departments.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Thanks.

Most of the industries I'm looking at skew conservative, so I kind of need a suit.

I'm an 18 at AT in pants. Well, at the outlet I was anyway.

I haven't spent a lot of time at the Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge - I feel kind of outranked there, but I'll give it a try.

Nordstrom's has been a total strikeout for me. I get really anxious about the prices & then "nothing" fits. It's probably psychological.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 05-29-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The last time I had an interview, I called Nordstrom's and had the personal shopper pick things for me. It was wonderful! She picked things that were $$$ and some that were not. She also picked things I never would've thought of. I highly recommend their service.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Try the Encore department at Nordstrom...they have so many different departments!

I would encourage you to ignore the size label, and just pick something that fits well and gives you confidence. Good luck!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Thanks.

Most of the industries I'm looking at skew conservative, so I kind of need a suit.

I'm an 18 at AT in pants. Well, at the outlet I was anyway.

I haven't spent a lot of time at the Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge - I feel kind of outranked there, but I'll give it a try.

Nordstrom's has been a total strikeout for me. I get really anxious about the prices & then "nothing" fits. It's probably psychological.
    I'm not sure what you mean by outranked, but I was never buying the most expensive things there by a long shot. They usually have some percentage off sale going on. I used to get some good deals.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I work in probably the most conservative profession out there for dress (other than mortuary and ministry), which is law. I still wear hose a couple days a week for court!

It sounds to me like you need to go to a Talbots, preferably one that has both a Misses and a Talbots Woman. They have lots of separates that make a suit (and by suit, I mean a jacket and skirt/pants out of the identical fabric). If necessary, you can order many of their "better" pants on-line or from catalog in talls (use the red phone in store to get $5 shipping, buy during one of their free shipping specials, or purchase over $100-150 to get free shipping). They pretty much always have black and navy; greys, camels, cream, and other colors show up periodically.

I wear different sized jackets and pants/skirts and I can shop in different parts of Talbot's (for me, mostly petites and women's petites) I have a lot of luck with Talbot's seasonless wool (really a blend) pieces.

Note that their prices run around $180 for a jacket and $60-80 for pants or a skirt at full price, but they have regular markdowns, particularly online.

I also suggest trying a Jones New York or Kasper. I have had luck at their outlets, at the Macy's suit department (albeit not for conservative pieces), and at Bloomingdale's. I actually picked up a charcoal Jones dress at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan late last year that had matching pants, skirt, and jacket (I did not buy them, but that's a different story). Their "Essentials" line is a blend that wears great!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

YES! Talbots! They are a little pricey - but I can usually find something on the sale rack - - and they will call stores or order if it's not your size. The talbots woman store starts at a size 12 and up. Sometimes if i fit into an 18 in the regular talbots store - - the woman's size 16 will actually fit me BETTER. Woman's can sometimes give a little extra room in the hips, etc. I think they may also offer alterations - - but i'm not sure. For the best fit - i would certainly pay for at least one GOOD versatile interview outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Try the Encore department at Nordstrom...they have so many different departments!

I would encourage you to ignore the size label, and just pick something that fits well and gives you confidence. Good luck!
    OK, full confession - I totally despised the last suit I had from Nordstrom 14 years ago. I'm sure it's better now, but I am so gun-shy because of it!

It was a set of polyester separates; I kind of want a year-round wool blend that I can add shells or blouses to, as I think it'll be a bit cooler while walking from the parking lot to the door. Or walking to/from the subway, assuming I get interviews for positions in the City.

I'm sure it's improved since, but I'm still having panic attacks trying to figure out where in a department store I should shop!

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by outranked, but I was never buying the most expensive things there by a long shot. They usually have some percentage off sale going on. I used to get some good deals.
    I feel like I'm too young and too poor to be in there, if you know what I mean. It's not true (I'm in my mid-30s and was making a nice salary) but a lot of what I've seen there feels kind of fuddy-duddy. Of course, I'm not often able to leisurely look at things for myself - if I'm out shopping, I have DD with me.

Also, I still haven't forgiven the woman at the Clinique counter who did the WORST eye makeup for me 8 years ago ... but that's another story.

I should totally let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms B View Post
    I work in probably the most conservative profession out there for dress (other than mortuary and ministry), which is law. I still wear hose a couple days a week for court!

It sounds to me like you need to go to a Talbots, preferably one that has both a Misses and a Talbots Woman. They have lots of separates that make a suit (and by suit, I mean a jacket and skirt/pants out of the identical fabric). If necessary, you can order many of their "better" pants on-line or from catalog in talls (use the red phone in store to get $5 shipping, buy during one of their free shipping specials, or purchase over $100-150 to get free shipping). They pretty much always have black and navy; greys, camels, cream, and other colors show up periodically.

I wear different sized jackets and pants/skirts and I can shop in different parts of Talbot's (for me, mostly petites and women's petites) I have a lot of luck with Talbot's seasonless wool (really a blend) pieces.

Note that their prices run around $180 for a jacket and $60-80 for pants or a skirt at full price, but they have regular markdowns, particularly online.

I also suggest trying a Jones New York or Kasper. I have had luck at their outlets, at the Macy's suit department (albeit not for conservative pieces), and at Bloomingdale's. I actually picked up a charcoal Jones dress at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan late last year that had matching pants, skirt, and jacket (I did not buy them, but that's a different story). Their "Essentials" line is a blend that wears great!
    We're near a Jones outlet (Jackson) and my favorite, pre-weight-gain suit was Jones. It's worth a shot. It tends to be well-constructed and fairly classic, and does run a bit on the "long" side, so it should be a good length.

I think that Kasper is cut too slim for me. I learned by trying to try on a Kasper suit after college, when I was more like a size 6. It hit me in all the wrong places.

It also runs short in the sleeve and leg, which is a BIG problem. It's one thing to have trousers that look "awkward" with heels; it's another to have trousers that look like capri pants when you're wearing flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    YES! Talbots! They are a little pricey - but I can usually find something on the sale rack - - and they will call stores or order if it's not your size. The talbots woman store starts at a size 12 and up. Sometimes if i fit into an 18 in the regular talbots store - - the woman's size 16 will actually fit me BETTER. Woman's can sometimes give a little extra room in the hips, etc. I think they may also offer alterations - - but i'm not sure. For the best fit - i would certainly pay for at least one GOOD versatile interview outfit.
    Oh god, I usually hate Talbot's. The salespeople at my local store are SO pushy!

The last time I bought something there, I felt like the sleeves were too short, the shoulders were too narrow, and the blouse fabric was just bleh. (It was an emergency stopgap in the event the blouses I ordered from LE didn't arrive; they did & I returned the blouse. And the high-pressure sales tactics were just ... ugh.)

I guess I can give them another try.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast