Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Maternity clothes on a budget?

What would you recommend for a minimal maternity wardrobe? When I thought I was done having kids a number of years ago, I donated pretty much everything I had. So now I need to start over but am hoping to do so on a serious budget since I don't know that I'll be using any of this stuff again. Luckily I'm a SAHM so I don't need professional suits or anything (though a dress or two would probably be good to last me through the fall and winter).

I'm really trying to just get the basics this time around, and get things that I love (is that possible with maternity clothes? ) rather than just a huge variety of things that I wouldn't get as tired of wearing, like I did with my previous pregnancies when I was working.

I figure a pair or two of jeans (what I wear pretty much every day in cool weather), a dress/ skirt or two, and a couple of new nursing bras? Not sure how many shirts and other pants I should get, and if there are certain styles of shirts that I can get and still wear after pregnancy?
    Where would you recommend to look? In the past I've bought from Motherhood Maternity, and the maternity sections of Macy's and Target. Any other suggestions?
    Also, to those of you with serious winters, if you were lucky enough to have a baby in the dead of winter like me , what was your coat situation? I figure I'll try my best to snap the top section of my heaviest winter coat and leave the bottom undone?

Thanks for reading and for your help!

Congrats! I have a winter baby but it's a pretty mild winter here. That said, I noticed I was warmer than usual I would definitely stick with a few basics in your case. I randomly noticed a couple of weeks ago that Target has some cute maternity stuff. I, too, did some shopping at Motherhood and got my jeans there, which I liked. I didn't spend a lot of $ on maternity stuff. I will say that I like the underwear from Motherhood but not the bras. Yes, I did find that I could wear some maternity shirts postpartum. The ones I could not (well and not look still pregnant anyway) are the style that has any kind of gathering in the front. Oh, I did get a lightweight coat at Motherhood and enjoyed that, too. Of course, this was a couple of years ago now...
    DS1-almost in Kindergarten!
    DS2-preschool

Congratulations! I found my favorite maternity jeans at ON. Also, their xxl tees worked fine as maternity tops. Does ATL still do maternity? I got some nice pieces there. My favorite overall was Gap Maternity, but they are not cheap. There's a big sale that ends at midnight tonight, maybe you can get some basics.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did like Target for dresses and tops, but the best thing I did in my last pregnancy was buy a pair of really nice stretchy maternity jeans from a boutique. They were $50 (which was actually half off!), but I wore them at least 1-2 times a week for the entire pregnancy and several months after. So worth it. I also had one legging/tunic set from Boden, which I wore A LOT, especially with boots in the fall and winter.

Here's a good blog post on coat options. Maybe you can borrow something from a friend or find on eBay. http://themomedit.com/2013/01/winter...7BANMJ%257D%29
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like ON maternity jeans as well.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Maternity clothes on a budget?

Another vote for ON maternity jeans. I had some cute maternity sweaters from ON and H&M maternity, and the comfiest yoga pants and camis from Gap. I also got a whole grab bag of maternity clothing on craigslist and it included some of my favorite maternity wear!

ETA Congrats!!!!

for Sandy Hook

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ann Taylor loft has a bunch of maternity in their sale section online, and I believe sale is an additional 60% off today...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got cute jeans from Kohls last time around. Their selection isn't big, but I liked their jeans. I also got several things from ON and Target. All my nursing bras were from Target. If you have any kid consignment stores in your area, you mighty get lucky there.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Congrats!!! I've gotten virtually every piece of my maternity wardrobe at thrift shops. I started early in my pregnancy and hit all the local shops often. I've gotten some great stuff! My favorites are GAP maternity.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Congratulations!

Do you have friends who might have maternity clothes hanging around? I borrowed a fair amount the second time around (some of the things I had when I was pregnant with DS1 were crap and they were different seasons babies anyway). When I was done with my clothes I leant them out to other friends.

As for stores, I got a lot from Next plus some of the places already mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast