Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, thank you everyone for your input so far, despite my comments.

I'm trying really hard to work through my body issues and anxiety about job hunting. And I am not doing a very good job at it.

We technically had a "business casual" dress code at the office, but I never bothered after my first few months because it wasn't enforced or expected.

I am not looking forward to this one bit and a lot of that negativity is coming out in my responses.

So far, I've got:

Ann Taylor/AT Outlet
    Talbot's & Talbot's Woman
    Nordstrom
    Lord & Taylor
    Macy's

Looks like I need to block out a day next week for an expeditionary mission.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Chicos is another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Chicos is another option
    Really? The local Chico's has so much stuff but it seems so ... casual! I can't say I've ever seen anything resembling suit separates there. (Again, my experience is colored by dashing after DD. I hate shopping.)

I really do need to physically go to a store and try stuff on, so if their more professional stuff is online, it's really not going to be much good to me.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Talbots won't work for you if you need a tall. I find both their regular and plus sizes to run really short.

I'm in my early 30s and I buy a lot of work clothes at Talbots. They have great sales, the clothes are very well made and if you choose carefully, they don't have to look old.

I would definitely not do a chocolate brown suit. If you can't do black or gray, go navy.

As for size, I would recommend trying plus sized clothes. I am a 16 on the bottom and a 12/14 on top but I prefer plus sized because they are made for a curvier body so they fall better than the regular cuts. Plus they usually have more length IME. Good luck
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post

I would definitely not do a chocolate brown suit. If you can't do black or gray, go navy.
    I agree 100%, and I am a very fair brunette. You can bring in some subtle color in whatever top you wear under the suit and in professionally appropriate makeup.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

One option that hasn't been mentioned is JCPenney.com. They have a wide range of sizes and the basic clothes are decent. The last time I needed an interview suit, I ordered a whole pile from them and tried them on without looking at the sizes and kept the one that fit the best without the psychology of looking at what size it was. You can return in store so you don't have to pay to ship it all back.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    One option that hasn't been mentioned is JCPenney.com. They have a wide range of sizes and the basic clothes are decent. The last time I needed an interview suit, I ordered a whole pile from them and tried them on without looking at the sizes and kept the one that fit the best without the psychology of looking at what size it was. You can return in store so you don't have to pay to ship it all back.
    It's a thought, but, as much as I hate shopping in stores, I prefer it to blindly ordering online and having to return stuff.

Feeling the fabrics, judging the cuts of trousers or skirts in person, etc., is very important to me.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Zansu View Post
    Talbots won't work for you if you need a tall. I find both their regular and plus sizes to run really short.
    The Misses' long inseam is 35". OP says she needs at least 34".
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    The Misses' long inseam is 35". OP says she needs at least 34".
    Thanks.

If it works for BabyBearsMom, who is taller than me IIRC, then it will work out just fine for me. I feel like the last time I went into a Talbots, I felt out of place ... and the sales woman was very high-pressure. All I needed was a blouse - the print I loved, but the fit, not so much. I had to go 3 sizes up from what I expected to get something that fit across my shoulders.

Anyway, all of you have given me a lot of food for thought - and a sense of which mall I'll need to hit so I can do a massive try-on of all the places you've suggested.

I am a suburban New Jersey mallrat. This may sound stereotypical, but I've memorized the store directories of every mall from here to Paramus.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast