Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK, here's what I learned by going to the Outlets:

(1) Ann Taylor is not my friend right now. Maybe after I lose 10-15lbs.

(2) Talbots Outlet would be fine if I already had a job.

(3) I'm hitting the mall next week because I need specific sizes.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Note that the stock at the Talbot's outlets is a LOT different than their regular store stock. The outlet stuff is just more casual IMHO. If you want their business clothes for less, you need to find one of their 'clearance centers', which close out the store stock.

FYI -- The Talbot's semiannual sale should be coming up in the next few weeks. Also, if you register for Talbot's rewards program (the affinity card as opposed to the credit card will even get it done), you get an additional 10% off one day in your birthday month,

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

JCP, kohls and Macy's are a few places to shop for business seperates. Among those three, I find JCP thr easiest to shop.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Since you can't easily shop, I would try Macys.com. They have better selection online, then in-store IMO. And with an interview suit, you are going to qualify for the $99 over free shipping.

Yes! I saw some cute things at Talbot's Outlet, but it was DEFINITELY more casual. (Which I need right now, too, but it's not my priority.)

I'm just so wary of JCP - I shopped there a lot in high school, then their buyers' tastes changed and I didn't like them so much by college.

I really need to physically go to the store and try things on because the online descriptions don't say enough about fabric or construction for me to get a good sense of what's available. I have a Macy's charge card and there are several larger stores in my area, plus a coupon or four that are good 'til August.

It's not that I can't shop easily; I simply despise shopping and really don't want to do it.

DD is in daycare full-time this week and next, so it'll be easier to hit the malls now. If I have to order-and-return, I will go out of my everloving mind.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you do the Nordstrom personal shopper thing that folks here have had really good luck with? I know you hate shopping and might hate even more having someone urge you to try certain things on, but I think you'll come across some things that will pleasantly surprise you that you wouldn't have tried on your own. I think you can give them a budget and they'll work within it. And for me I'd rather have a total stranger give me honest opinions about how I looked! Anyway since your needs are so specific, I think it's worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Can you do the Nordstrom personal shopper thing that folks here have had really good luck with? I know you hate shopping and might hate even more having someone urge you to try certain things on, but I think you'll come across some things that will pleasantly surprise you that you wouldn't have tried on your own. I think you can give them a budget and they'll work within it. And for me I'd rather have a total stranger give me honest opinions about how I looked! Anyway since your needs are so specific, I think it's worth a shot!
    DH has suggested the Nordstrom personal shopper thing before, even offered to pay for it (we didn't know it was free of charge at the time) but he's very ... frugal ... so I never took him up on it.

There's a Nordstrom at my preferred "local" mall as well as one at another "local" mall that I could try, but I would rather keep it as a last resort right now.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Another +1 on the personal shopper service at Nordstrom. I used them specifically to build a wardrobe for an industry switch (manufacturing ops to healthcare admin) and they are wonderful!! The key is to be REAL honest about what you are looking to spend AND how many pieces / outfits you would like to get from that visit (they can do one outfit or an entire wardrobe, complete with home visit). The shopper should call you beforehand and get all your sizes, color palette and fabric preferences, your coloring, etc and they will assemble some really nice outfits for you - often with shoes and accessories so you can see how the whole look comes together. I gave her specifics on pieces I already owned and wanted to incorporate and actually lugged them all into the store for me to try on with the pieces she had pulled.

Depending on time of day, the on-site tailor may be in store and will visit to help you with any alterations to your final selections (so so important for those little tailoring details to be taken care of. Often times, the basic tailoring was "on the house" or pretty inexpensive - jeans hemmed, trouser pockets sealed to prevent extra "wings" at the hips, extra snaps added on blouses for the bustier among us. What is good is that if they screw up the alterations they will replace the item for you hassle free, vs taking it to an outside seamstress)

For me it was invaluable, I built a relationship with my personal shopper - she would make notes on which items and sizes we tried and I liked, but wasn't prepared to buy yet and when they got discounted to the sale rack, she would call me up and have them at the ready for me to buy. She also got me appointments for bra and Spanx / undergarment fitting (highly recommended esp as their bras are heavily discounted at RACK and well, foundation garments are key to even less expensive clothes looking super sleek) and makeup referesher at my counter of choice (Bobbi Brown, as I told her I liked the minimalist approach) - and dare I say, I brought my existing makeup pouch to that appointment too to see what could be salvaged from the less expensive products I was already using.

Consider bumping Nordies up on your list you might be pleasantly surprised at how much less stressful, and actually enjoyable, the whole process will be. (My shopper helped me for 3+ years, and even dressed me head to toe on a budget! for my courthouse wedding when they opened their Wedding Boutique. We all cried as I was moving soon after that, but she had become a really great friend!)
    DS 2014

I'm really dragging my feet about the Nordie's thing because the suit I got there in college was just so ... bleh. The fabric felt cheap, I sweated in it, and it was NOT flattering, but we bought it anyway because I needed a second suit.

I don't even know what my budget is - I'm having serious sticker shock right now.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I'm really dragging my feet about the Nordie's thing because the suit I got there in college was just so ... bleh. The fabric felt cheap, I sweated in it, and it was NOT flattering, but we bought it anyway because I needed a second suit.

I don't even know what my budget is - I'm having serious sticker shock right now.
    I would really re-consider! College was a LONG time ago. ALL my clothes from college would NOT look good today even if it fit and I really think it would help to have an unbiased opinion from a stranger in terms of what looks good on you. Your college suit was bought because you needed a second suit, not because you were able to spend the time/resources on finding something flattering. So I think you don't have anything to lose by trying the personal shopper! For budget, I'll just throw out a number - say you want to spend no more than $400 for one flattering 2-piece suit (blazer + skirt or blazer + pants) + a nice shirt or shell to wear under the blazer. At the very least you'll try on a bunch of stuff and get a better sense for the styles that work on you and that will help you out a lot with future shopping.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast