Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Do you save boxes?

Santa brought DS a lot of wooden Thomas train items this year. I threw away most of the packaging but kept the boxes for the bigger items like Tidmouth Shed, etc. I guess I was thinking it would make it easier to store if he looses interest at some point or if we decide to sell on ebay, craigslist. I'm trying hard to organize our house and saw the empty boxes sitting in our attic. Do you save boxes for anything? Does having them increase resale value? I guess I'd like to pitch them but was wondering if I should keep them for any reason?

Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS
    and the Third Musketeer!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We move frequently, so in an effort to keep damage to a minimum, we save boxes ( and original packing) for high dollar electronics and furniture. Other than that, I don't keep boxes. I don't see how having the box will increase resale ( on most items anyway...collectibles I could see would be different) . When I'm looking at an item for sale from someone, I'll pay more for a new item in the box, but a used item is still used even if its in the original packaging.
    Last edited by okinawama; 06-01-2014 at 02:03 PM.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

no. cardboard seems to attract dust and bugs no matter where I store it. i've tried inside in the closet, the basement, garage and attic. the only boxes we have are for the TV and computer monitor, with the styrofoam packaging. it was nice to have when we moved and since we plan to move again in a couple of years, i kept it. I prefer to store any unused toys in big plastic tubs with lids that snap on. it seems to save space, to be able to put entire sets of toys together vs putting them all back into individual cardboard boxes.

eta: i will usually hang onto a few (ie. 1 or 2 or 3) of the smaller amazon boxes as I frequently mail things to cousins or my parents, but those don't sit for long.
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks! Out they go!! I've been thinking about it and as pp said, the items will be used if/when I decide to sell them. Box or not, if someone wants it they'll buy it and most likely it won't matter if I have the box or not! Hopefully this is just the start of getting rid of some clutter around here

No. We don't save boxes. They take up too much closet space in our 900 sq ft home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

No! We get silverfish here if we save any cardboard so out they go!

The UPS guy re-supplies me with boxes weekly. . So no, we don't save them. (Exception, desktop computer packaging).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Only when I'm too lazy to tote them out to the recycling box in my garage.

Honestly, we order so much stuff online that my house would be covered in card board if I saved boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No, I only save them for certain small kitchen appliances. Otherwise, we get enough pkgs, that we have a never ending supply of boxes, if we need them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I only save boxes for small kitchen electrics.

Everything else goes into a fabric bin or plastic box.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle