Default How do you know if a pedicure place is clean?

sitting in the chair the other day thinking about this... how do you know? I mean, I watch them clean the tubs, but don't the jets get skanky? Do you actually ask questions or just hope and pray? I don't get pedis a lot but really would not like to get a fungus.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, I did get toenail fungus from getting a pedi at a place that pampers pregnant women. Let me just say, I'll never have another one.

Personally I think it is next to impossible. I got something from a very expensive salon, even though they tools that came fresh like in the hospital and didn't reuse files, etc. I assume it was somehow in the jets. Now I am taking my own little plastic foot tub and all my own tools.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mom just had her big toenails removed after fighting for years to get rid of fungus that she got from a high end salon. After watching her deal with that, I decided its just not worth it since I can't be sure that the place is truly clean.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just curious, since I generally have not worried about this too much, other than to go to a salon where I see them cleaning the tubs between customers, using clean tools, etc., how do you all know the fungus is attributable to the salon, and not a gym, a pool, or some other source of contamination?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Just curious, since I generally have not worried about this too much, other than to go to a salon where I see them cleaning the tubs between customers, using clean tools, etc., how do you all know the fungus is attributable to the salon, and not a gym, a pool, or some other source of contamination?
    If you regularly put yourself in situations where you are at higher risk then you wouldn't really know for sure. If you never have a fungus problem and don't get a pedicure regularly, but you get an infection soon after going for a pedicure. I'd say there's a good chance they're related.

I avoid them too for this reason although I could really use one.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    If you regularly put yourself in situations where you are at higher risk then you wouldn't really know for sure. If you never have a fungus problem and don't get a pedicure regularly, but you get an infection soon after going for a pedicure. I'd say there's a good chance they're related.

I avoid them too for this reason although I could really use one.
    Edit: FWIW, I think that you aren't very likely to get fungal infections at outdoor pools because of the UV exposure. Also, some people are just more susceptible to it so you may be exposed and not get an infection while someone else will.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11