TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default The basics of making baby food?

Please help me, I'm going to attempt to make DD2's baby food. Am I correct that the basics are wash-peel-cut-steam-puree-feed?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Sounds good to me! You really don't need to purée or feed, though. Try giving your baby slices or sticks of the food whole so s/he can experiment with it and feel the texture. It's a method of feeding the baby called baby led weaning, and it's wonderful for the kids and so much easier for the food preparer, too!

You are correct. It is very easy. BLW was not for us, so it is fine to make your own food if that is what you prefer.

Default The basics of making baby food?

We've been doing a modified version of BLW with my third (9 mo.). He actually likes to be fed, so I just chop up whatever we are eating into small bits. I like to start with banana and avocado, since you don't need to cook them....just mush them up. My 9 mo old will eat pretty much anything, but he really loves blueberries (I just give him 1/2 at a time) and orzo with spinach and pesto.

ETA: none of mine ever liked purees.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Sounds good to me! You really don't need to purée or feed, though. Try giving your baby slices or sticks of the food whole so s/he can experiment with it and feel the texture. It's a method of feeding the baby called baby led weaning, and it's wonderful for the kids and so much easier for the food preparer, too!
    Did this with DD1 and going strong with DD2. She had Japanese sweet potato sticks and blueberries tonight. She eats what we do with a little modification.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I made all of DS's food when he was a baby. We did not do baby led weaning, but I actually thought it was kind of fun to go to farmers markets etc. and pick out things for him to try. There were a few guidelines (like watching out for nitrate levels in spinach and carrots maybe), but other than that we just tried to introduce something new every 3-4 days.

I steamed, puréed in a baby food mill, and froze.

I believe the website wholesomebabyfood.com has a lot of good info.
    DS age 9

Yes, you are right. Mashed potatoes are a good start. When your baby has adopted to solid food, you can start adding a variety of fruits and vegetables.