Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Not only have I not lost, now I've gained a few pounds.

Update in #12

This is part BP part ask for advice. I'd love to lose 10lbs. Weight has crept up slowing over the past several years. In that time I've gone GF (for health reasons) and went on BCP. Since late Feb I started working out cardio (arc trainer or elliptical) for 20min 3-4X a week (all the time I could squeeze in before work). For the past month I started 30min of jogging 4-5x a week which burns about 200 calories per outing. Also a month ago I stopped BCP (DH got the V a few months back). I was tracking food intake via MFP and I was usually in the 1200-1400 calorie range. About 2 weeks after stopping BCP I dropped 1.5lbs. But this week I'm back up 2.5lb. Wait a freakin' minute...I'm off BPC and I've upped my cardio and I'm gaining weight? Nothing else in my diet has changed. Actually I've cut back on late night snacking, the weekly starbucks iced drink (I don't order the high calorie drinks), and diet soda (subbing sparkling water instead). Since I'm GF I don't indulge in treats at work and even when eating out (which is rare) my diet restrictions limit me to usually the healthiest things on a menu. What gives? I'm 39.5yo so I know metabolism is not working in my favor, but I would think that I'd be at least making a slow dent of a few pounds. I'm so frustrated.

I'm guessing I need to add strength training in there. Anything else?
    Last edited by wendibird22; 11-14-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is it possible that you're gaining muscle mass and losing fat? How do your clothes fit?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am in a similar boat (need to lose 10 lbs that somehow CAME BACK). When I need to do this here is what works for me.
    no/low alcohol
    focus on protein vs other foods
    for sure I'd focus on strength and for the running or elliptical I'd do more high impact cycles (so sprint for a minute and then jog for 30 seconds) -- I think this all increases met rate

Honestly at our age (I am 43) I think taking off that last 10 lbs gets harder so I've had to really crack down on what I am doing to get to my goal.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd switch up your cardio to include other exercises.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yeah, I'd add in weight training for sure. Focus, for a start, on legs, back and chest- large muscle groups- vs biceps and such. If you can find a class that combines cardio and weights, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Is it possible that you're gaining muscle mass and losing fat? How do your clothes fit?
    I wish, but nope. Clothes don't fit any different. Grateful they aren't tight, but definitely not looser.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    for sure I'd focus on strength and for the running or elliptical I'd do more high impact cycles (so sprint for a minute and then jog for 30 seconds) -- I think this all increases met rate
    I can easily do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yeah, I'd add in weight training for sure. Focus, for a start, on legs, back and chest- large muscle groups- vs biceps and such. If you can find a class that combines cardio and weights, even better.
    I live in small town USA and don't have access to any classes. I work on a small college campus so I have access to cardio and a weight room but these aren't open in the summer (no students) and during the school year the only classes offered are at light 10pm at night if offered at all. I used to live in a city and loved going to power lifting, step/combo, and spinning classes. LOVED it. I miss that.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think that it is too much cardio. Weight training is good and will slenderize over time, but I am not sure that you will see real weight loss right away. And I think your diet and cardio shoudl be producing the weight loss.

My take on it is a few things. First, age... I am about to be 45, and it is harder to lose 10 lbs when it is all you need to lose. Really hard. I have found the intermittent fasting (the 5:2 fast diet plan) to help me on this. Our bodies just need change in routine and some feeling of hunger, and I have found that to be something that works. The reason for the weight gain tho... could it be salt? Anything that you ate that could have bloated you up the night before you weighed? I gain 3-5 lbs when I ovulate (leading up to ovulation, and I lose it the day after). I have read on the internet other people experiencing that. So now that you are off BCP, that could be it? And...regardless of my calorie count, I gain "puffiness"when I eat out. So I never weigh after I eat out (even if my dinner is a classic caesar salad). There is a lot of added salt in most restaurant foods.

If I were you (and I am... to a degree, wanting to lose about 10 lbs too), I wouldn't chnage my food or my workouts right now. I would just keep doing exactly what you are doing, MFP and keep up the cardio and see what happens in another 2-3 weeks. Let your body go through one full cycle and see what happens. Thsi could be entirely hormonal weight gain.

onyx8 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I would add in body weight training if you don't have access to a gym. Check out You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren

Have you seem your PCP? You may need your thyroid and/or other hormones checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitowngirl View Post
    Have you seem your PCP? You may need your thyroid and/or other hormones checked.
    Well, I did extensively over the course of about 2yrs pre and post-gluten intolerance diagnosis. Thyroid was checked out a few times during that time. I have my annual with my OB/GYN scheduled for early Sept so if things haven't changed by then I'll definitely be discussing it with her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast