Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I don't think that it is too much cardio. Weight training is good and will slenderize over time, but I am not sure that you will see real weight loss right away. And I think your diet and cardio shoudl be producing the weight loss.

My take on it is a few things. First, age... I am about to be 45, and it is harder to lose 10 lbs when it is all you need to lose. Really hard. I have found the intermittent fasting (the 5:2 fast diet plan) to help me on this. Our bodies just need change in routine and some feeling of hunger, and I have found that to be something that works. The reason for the weight gain tho... could it be salt? Anything that you ate that could have bloated you up the night before you weighed? I gain 3-5 lbs when I ovulate (leading up to ovulation, and I lose it the day after). I have read on the internet other people experiencing that. So now that you are off BCP, that could be it? And...regardless of my calorie count, I gain "puffiness"when I eat out. So I never weigh after I eat out (even if my dinner is a classic caesar salad). There is a lot of added salt in most restaurant foods.

If I were you (and I am... to a degree, wanting to lose about 10 lbs too), I wouldn't chnage my food or my workouts right now. I would just keep doing exactly what you are doing, MFP and keep up the cardio and see what happens in another 2-3 weeks. Let your body go through one full cycle and see what happens. Thsi could be entirely hormonal weight gain.
    Likely not salt intake. We are very low sodium and hardly ever eat out...maybe 2x a month if that. Hormonal fluctuations is a distinct possibility. I've had one period since stopping BCP and should be ovulating sometime in the next few days. It'll be easy for me to watch for a before/after fluctuation of weight.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Update:
    So it's now mid-November. Been running since April. In the past 2 months I've upped my frequency and mileage. I'm now exercising in some way 5-6 days a week. On weekend runs I run 3-4mi at a time (my week day runs are still ~2mi because of limited time). Weekdays I rotate running (outside or treadmill) with arc trainer or lateral X machine (which I LOVE because you can do squats with it). I've also added a weekly yoga class taught by one of my work colleagues she does for staff. Sad it's only 1x a week but it's a good mix of strength and stretching. And I'm happy to report I'm FINALLY losing inches and weight. I'm down to 129 (was 134 at my recent highest) and have lost 1in in my waist (though my waist is always tiny so I wish that inch was in my butt!) and my butt is more shapely than it's been in a long time. I'd love to get to 125. I think I was 114 or 117 when I got married but have no expectations of ever getting back there post-kids and 40yr old.

So a few small changes and 5 more months of sticking to it and finally some progress.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Congrats on the progress! You have a lot of dedication to stick with it for five months!
    Mom of two girls and a boy

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I gain 3-5 lbs when I ovulate (leading up to ovulation, and I lose it the day after).
    I am gaining weight around ovulation. Thanks for saying this. It makes me feel I'm not the only one.

Just realized this is an old thread. Sorry for the late bump up. Wish I could delete.

Ha ha, no problem. Since you bumped, I'll update.

So, only down to 128lbs consistently (I've hit 127 but haven't really stayed there). I've gone down one pant size from an 8 to a 6 and lost ~4% body fat (I have a Tonita body fat scale...so I'm sure there is some inaccuracy there but the 4% is using the same scale/method). I've also shaved 2min 30sec off my mile pace since when I started running last June.

I've got to admit that it is a bit discouraging that I'm running 5-6x a week, a min of 2.5mi a time (but almost always 3-4mi each run), week in and week out and I've only lost 1lb since I posted in November. And I ran all winter long. In 10deg weather in the snow!

That said, I will chose to celebrate that I went from being a person who never wanted to run, or thought I could, to being a frequent short distance runner and celebrate that summer shorts that were a bit snug last summer are big on me this year. Regardless of my weight on a scale I know I'm likely healthier than I was a year ago.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You aren't gaining weight like a lot of moms (at least the perimenopausal ones my age). Be proud of that.

It sounds like you've made tremendous progress! You should be proud of what you've accomplished. Might I suggest that now that you've got running solidly under your belt you add in a different form of exercise? The body adapts to exercise, so as running becomes less challenging, you might want to jump start your body with something new that follows a different rhythm and stresses the use of different muscles. Maybe try biking or swimming. Adding in weight training is a really good idea, too. Build your muscle! Muscle really helps you burn fat if you're looking to lose weight. The scale may go up a bit at first, because muscle mass is heavy, but you will burn more fat and become more toned as well.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love running - have been doing 4-6 miles 3-4 days a week. Cardio is great for my mental health and good for immunity and a host of other things I am sure but I don't lose weight with cardio. I started beach body's 21 day fix dvd's 2 weeks ago and I am far more exhausted and sore from those than running twice as long. Those are great weight videos!

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    It sounds like you've made tremendous progress! You should be proud of what you've accomplished. Might I suggest that now that you've got running solidly under your belt you add in a different form of exercise? The body adapts to exercise, so as running becomes less challenging, you might want to jump start your body with something new that follows a different rhythm and stresses the use of different muscles. Maybe try biking or swimming. Adding in weight training is a really good idea, too. Build your muscle! Muscle really helps you burn fat if you're looking to lose weight. The scale may go up a bit at first, because muscle mass is heavy, but you will burn more fat and become more toned as well.
    Yes, you are spot on. During the academic year (I work at a college) I have access to the gym and do some other type of cardio (lateral x or arc) 2x a week and 1hr of yoga 1x a week. But it's summer so I'm just going for runs on my lunch break and weekends. I did download a 7min workout app which has strength training and I've done that a few times. My goal is to be more consistent with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2