Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unrealistic Sleep Expectations?

DD2 is 6.5w and is killing me with sleep. She hates being flat. As a result all of her naps are in the swing or held. Just this week I've moved her, swaddled, to the flat bottom of the pnp in our room for bed and some naps. She HATES it. She will eventually sleep at night, but not until we've reinserted the paci many times. If she sleeps, it's a 2hr block and then 5hr, so not awful but not great. It's driving me crazy.

DD1 had no problem moving at 3w to the crib, slept 6hrs at night at 5w old. What is up and how do I fix it??

This all sounds normal. I think you just got lucky with the first I wouldn't stress about where she's sleeping for another couple months. ds1 started sleeping flat around 6 weeks, but I was really stressed about it, and I should've just let him sleep in the swing where he was happy. With ds2, I didn't stress at all, I was just happy if he slept anywhere. He slept in the swing or rock n play until 5-6 months, when he transitioned well to sleeping flat. For your own sanity, just let her sleep wherever she will stay asleep. 6 weeks old is too young to form habits, and it won't be as hard as you think to transition later. obviously all my personal opinion!!

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amom526 View Post
    For your own sanity, just let her sleep wherever she will stay asleep. 6 weeks old is too young to form habits, and it won't be as hard as you think to transition later. obviously all my personal opinion!!
    And a hearty AMEN from me. Do what you gotta do -- whatever that may be -- to get some sleep, for both of your sakes!

For us, that meant me holding them in my recliner and then them sleeping with us. And it also meant turning them onto their tummies. I cannot recommend what will work best for your family, but for us, sleeping meant breaking some "rules," particularly in the early days.

If all else fails, put her back in the swing. Many BBBers have done the same.

Lara
    Last edited by queenmama; 04-14-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

Default Unrealistic Sleep Expectations?

Do you have a rock and play? If not, get one! Some babies need to sleep in an incline. Ds1 slept in his swing the first 3.5 months because he couldn't sleep flat. That was before the rock and play came out.

Eta: a 2 and a 5 hour stretch sounds normal at that age
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Do you have a rock and play? If not, get one! Some babies need to sleep in an incline. Ds1 slept in his swing the first 3.5 months because he couldn't sleep flat. That was before the rock and play came out.
    The rock n play is amazing! You can probably get one used for twenty or thirty dollars.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can't fix it. She's normal. Just do what you need to do to make her comfy, but her sleep pattern is typical of a baby her age.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think your second born and her sleep habits sound "normal" and your first born set the bar very very high by being a rock star sleeper and is the "abnormal" one of the two. You're in the trenches right now, and I'd just do whatever you can to get some sleep, even if that means holding her/letting her sleep in the swing.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The second one still sounds better than normal if you are getting 5 hr stretched at 6 wks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sntm View Post
    The second one still sounds better than normal if you are getting 5 hr stretched at 6 wks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree! Both of my DC put themselves on an every two hours plan 24/7 at that age. Five sounds blissful!

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Unfortunately, I agree with the others! I only got 1-2 hour blocks at night at least until 9 months old. My youngest did that until he was THREE. Every two hours, ugh! You got SUPER lucky with your first...

ETA: All naps were ON me, too. I learned to love babywearing with my youngest. It made life so much easier. I just went about my day with him attached to me, and he slept whenever he wanted to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast