Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's an appropriate bed time for 3.5 years old ?

DD used to go to bed at night between 7:30 to 8 pm and will wake up between 6:30 and 7 am in the morning. She's still taking 1.5-2 hour nap in the afternoon, usually between 1 to 2 pm. For the past two months though I notice her bed time is getting later and later.....I'd do her routine at around 8 pm and she wouldn't go to sleep until 9:30 pm or a bit later. She'll stay in her room, but will talk and sing to sleep and still wake up between 6:30 and 7:00 am in the morning and then she'll get tired by the time she came back from half-day preschool, which is around noon. I tried to send her to nap after lunch around 12:30, but she usually ends up nap at around 1 and sometimes 2 and wake up at 4 pm sometimes. I started to wonder if 4 pm is too late to wake up from a nap for her and it pushes her bedtime to 9:30 plus. Should I limit her nap to one hour ? I prefer that she doesn't go to bed that late.

What's an appropriate bed time for this age ?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My oldest dropped naps and switched to quiet time around that age. On days he napped he was a terror at bedtime so I put up with cranky kid in the afternoon in exchange for a reasonable bedtime for awhile. IIRC they need between 11-13 hours of sleep a night at that age. When he dropped nap he started going to sleep between 7-8p and waking up between 6-7a.
    Last edited by mikala; 06-06-2014 at 11:24 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't feel like there is an appropriate, one size fits all answer. Our family our night owls and dh doesn't get home from work til 7 so bedtime has always been in the 9-10 range. I'm more concerned with total sleep hours vs when they happen.

From WebMD:
    3-6 Years Old: 10 - 12 hours per day
    Children at this age typically go to bed between 7 and 9 p.m. and wake up around 6 and 8 a.m., just as they did when they were younger. At 3, most children are still napping, while at 5, most are not. Naps gradually become shorter as well.
    http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/sleep-children

So, it sounds like your dd is getting 10-12 hours of sleep. Later bedtimes really work for our family but I know they don't work for everyone.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

it sounds like you need to start skipping the nap, if you want the earlier bedtime. i

DD is 3y3mo and has for all practical purposes, done away with her nap on weekends. 80% of the time she won't nap. SHe only reliably naps the 2 hours (1-3pm) at school. though it's not a huge deal because we don't typically put them to bed until after 9 anyway.

With skipping nap it is a bit easier bc she will go to bed earlier. On weekdays, she doesn't fall asleep till 930pm probably. IT's not a big deal for us though bc she sleeps in till 7 or 730.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-06-2014 at 11:21 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't feel like there is an appropriate, one size fits all answer. Our family our night owls and dh doesn't get home from work til 7 so bedtime has always been in the 9-10 range. I'm more concerned with total sleep hours vs when they happen.
    Later bedtimes really work for our family but I know they don't work for everyone.
    oh and just wanted to add a HUUUGE to this. I know i am in the huge minority on this on this board and IRL, but I cannot wrap my head around my kids going to bed at 7:30pm every night. It is so just not happening ever..I typically don't get home until after 6 (usually 630), so i'm not sending them to bed an hour after I get home. We typically have them go to bed around 9 or so, and it's always worked well for us.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-06-2014 at 11:22 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 3.5 year old (now 4)'s bedtime has been in the 9-9.30 pm range. Like the others, it's what works for our family.

I can't wait till the Fall, when she is in the Pre-K class at her daycare and won't be napping every day! Maybe she will actually fall asleep by 8.30-9 rather than jumping in her bed till 10 pm.

for Sandy Hook

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For my own sanity, DD1 is in her room by 8. We don't get home until 6 but DH and I need the time at night to clean or do work. That said, if she napped that day, I hear her running around until 9. She gets up btw 7 and 7:30, occasionally sleeping a bit later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DS is just 3 and goes to bed 7:30pm and takes his nap from 1pm usually for an hour to 90 mins. Sometimes till 3pm, depending how active he was that day.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD is exactly 3.5 She recently stopped napping (because she would play in bed until close to 10!) and I shoot for 7:30. Most night's it's closer to 8. She is up around 7 or 7:30.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

DS1 has basically dropped his nap at this point - just shy of 3.5. He's in bed before 7, but is an early riser - usually around 6.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast