Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Toddler bed, twin bed, or ???

DD scared me to death today when she was playing in her crib before napping. I caught her on the webcam with a leg flung over the front crib rail and then raced upstairs to get her before she dumped herself out onto the hardwood floor. She's only 16.5 months old so we were not expecting to need to make changes this soon.

The crib doesn't convert to a toddler bed, and even if it did, we bought it off craigslist so we wouldn't have had the pieces needed anyway. My sister suggested taking off the front rail and using a portable bed rail (the kind that goes under the mattress) to make a toddler bed out of it. Thoughts? Obviously we'd make sure the crib could even stay upright and in place before we let her sleep in it if we went this direction.

We had originally planned to move her to a twin bed on some Ikea bed slats on the floor when it came time to transition instead of buying a toddler bed. She's really active in her sleep and regularly rolls into the walls of her crib. This is the most expensive option by far, but also has the most longevity since she'll use a twin for years.

DH started looking at toddler beds. Ikea doesn't have anything he liked, but there are super cheap options at BRU. I just hate the idea of spending money on something that won't last very long (DD just got onto the height charts at her 15m appointment, prior to that she was off the height charts).

The only other thread I saw about toddler beds vs cribs, it seemed like people didn't need to transition until much later and their kids weren't climbers. Any advice, recommendations, suggestions for making a change with a young toddler? We really weren't expecting to have to change her sleeping accommodations this soon!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, since you have a climber and don't have a convertible crib, I'd either do a crib tent or go straight to a twin (with her room completely baby-proofed and a gate at the door). Maybe keep the mattress on the floor (or on IKEA bed slats) for now and then buy a bed when she's older and it's safer for her to be higher up.

I agree that you don't need to spend money on an "in-between" like a toddler bed unless you really WANT to.

eta: I also wanted to add that there are some twin bed styles that are lower to the ground because they don't require a box spring - we have a couple from Pottery Barn and I like the fact that it's low enough to the ground that I don't worry when my kids fall out (which they do, on occasion). You could look at those, but for a 16.5mo and hardwood floors I think i'd be more comfortable with just keeping the mattress on the floor until she's a little older.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would do the toddler bed for a kid that young since they are low to the ground. You can also try just putting the mattress on the floor for now. We used a crib tent with my son but I don't think they make them anymore.

FWIW, my 5.5 year old niece is still in a toddler bed. We got ours off Amazon and are pleased with the quality
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did a twin bed with the mattress on the floor.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    We did a twin bed with the mattress on the floor.
    Most families we know start that way and then move to a low frame. We used up our low frames on Ds1/Ds2 so Ds3 started on a very high frame w/the type of bed rail you describe. Its worked fine for him but he doesn't roll much.

Some kids really like how the crib feels small and cozy and they don't transition well to a bigger bed. Other kids love the extra space. You might consider buying the twin mattress and leaving the crib up to see if she has a strong preference. Or, if she otherwise sleeps very well in her crib, maybe just go for the crib tent.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

I thought crib tents had been recalled & ceased manufacture, I'll have to look to see if they're still on the market. I did message the crib manufacturer (Munire) and apparently our crib can be converted. Some of their newer conversion kits can be used on their discontinued older lines so we may be able to do that (or stick a pool noodle under the edge to keep her from rolling that way).

My personal preference would be to skip all the toddler bed business because it feels like throwing away money for something that won't be used for very long (she was 32.5" at her 15m appointment), but DH is opposed to buying a twin right now because of the cost of the mattress we'd get.

Are there any toddler-proofing things we should be aware of? I know we'll need a pressure gate to her room, a hard-mounted gate to the top of the stairs (she's never upstairs alone so we didn't install one yet), attaching the dresser to the wall, make sure all sockets are plugged and all cords/plugs are either behind furniture or in boxes so she can't pull them out. Is there anything else I'm missing? She doesn't have blinds, just drapes so there aren't any cords to worry about.

The only thing that I'm somewhat concerned about is the windows. They're large casement windows that are maybe 2' off the floor. Is there any kind of cap that goes over the folded down handle or do I have to take the handles off? We have no AC so regularly open/close her windows to adjust temperature in her room. So far she doesn't do anything with the handles other than yank on them (not moving the window), but I'm sure that will come. Are there any other less-permanently-damaging options other than putting up gates inside the window frames?

Just saw your update and wanted to respond b/c we have a Munire, too. There's no conversion kit to make it into a toddler bed. You just undo the bolts that attach the front rail, and voila, toddler bed. It stands on its own. Munire does sell matching rails, but they are ridiculously over-priced ($100) and unnecessary. It's just a rail. You can either do the pool noodle like you said, or this is what we got:

http://www.amazon.com/dexbaby-Safe-S...2604286&sr=1-3

It worked/fit great and was super sturdy. We liked how it actually bolts onto the frame. Also that it has a release and can swing down, so your LO can climb in & out (nice for when she's bigger!).

I also wanted to say, if you want to try to avoid the transition, you could always try sleepsacks. DS was in a crib/sleepsack til he was over 4!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd see if the climb was a fluke first. Ds2 climbed out at that age then never again for ages! I was glad we didn't do anything right away.

Thanks YouAreTheFocus! I've got the rail on order. I figure it can live in the closet until we're sure that she'll try to throw a leg over again. I'll pick up some more sleepsacks as well; we've got 3, but sometimes that just doesn't make it to laundry day.

Re: toddler beds, we bought two used on craigslist for $50 apiece, and I just sold one back for $50. For us, it was a space issue, and since we got our money back on the other side, it was a great in between step for a year. Toddler beds are easy to find on craigslist (and it was even easy for us to find two matching ones for our girls), so I would not buy one new.

Re: climbing out of bed, one of my girls also climbed out of bed at 17 months, which freaked us out! But like a PP, she didn't do it again and ended up staying in her crib until 23 months when the next baby came along. I prefer having my kids in a crib to a toddler bed! Good luck!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast