Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Unlike traditional books, however, where if the book is finished early it can be returned and checked out to another patron, e-books cannot. E-books are checked out for the full time period - whether the user is finished with them or not. That's why they usually have a shorter lending period so that the turnaround to get them out to other patrons is shorter.
    I'm able to return books early through Overdrive. I usually return the book as soon as I finish it.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

This page does a good job tracking which libraries let you get cards without being a resident --
    http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBoo...ine_or_by_mail

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I'm able to return books early through Overdrive. I usually return the book as soon as I finish it.
    Hmm, maybe that's a Canadian difference? As of last year, you certainly couldn't. That's why most libraries here will lend e-books for only 2 weeks but regular books for 3 weeks. In any case, e-book lending is significantly more complicated than most people realize, and the terms and prices fluctuate significantly. It's not something that users are really made aware of, but it drives librarians mad in terms of planning.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Amazon makes it difficult, if not impossible, for libraries to offer ebooks for Kindles. Also, libraries buy copies of ebooks, just like they buy one physical copy so it can be cost-prohibitive to buy multiple ebook copies.
    This isn't true. I'm in the LA area and use the LA Public Library for my ebooks. I check them out via Overdrive on the LAPL website, and choose the kindle download option. It then takes you to the Amazon website to download the book.

I can keep the books for 21 days, but I do return them when I'm done so the next person can check it out. There are multiple copies of most books, and there's waiting lists for the more popular ones but you can sign up for a email notice that emails you when it's your turn to check it out. Love it since I'm an avid reader.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, I can return ebooks via Kindle or Overdrive early, as soon as I am done. My library directs me to Amazon to complete the transaction of borrowing Kindle books. In my state, you can't join other libraries without paying a fee ($50 IIRC). I moved a couple miles over and had to switch over even though my original library was still really close (and much nicer).

I would love to join more libraries for access to more books, but not for $50.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    That makes sense. They are freeing up the $ for next year then. I wasn't sure if it was subscription or usage based.

You can return Kindle books, and Audiobooks. I'm sure most people don't though. I do, because it frees up a spot for the next thing! (Audio, return on the Overdrive app - Kindle, return on Amazon.com/Manage Your Content and Devices).
    Before downloading you can change your mind. After you download, you can return books only in certain formats and on certain devices. I use audiobooks exclusively (1 week limit) and there is no return option on my Overdrive. Can someone explain where/how its done. ETA: nevermind. I followed the link and it was obvious D'oh. I must have an older version of Overdrive because mine doesn't have that feature.
    Last edited by Simon; 06-13-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Unlike traditional books, however, where if the book is finished early it can be returned and checked out to another patron, e-books cannot. E-books are checked out for the full time period - whether the user is finished with them or not. That's why they usually have a shorter lending period so that the turnaround to get them out to other patrons is shorter.
    You can return eBooks early in Overdrive now. It used to be that you couldn't but they added that feature a while back.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

For me, whether or not I can return an audiobook early depends on the format. WMA format audiobooks I am not able to return early. Or if there is a way, I have never figured out how!

MP3 format books I can return using the Overdrive app.

Kindle books can be returned early via Amazon. But I think a lot of people don't know how to do that. Other format books I can return using the Overdrive app.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

OP, I just looked on my county's website, and we have reciprocal agreements with various counties in MD,VA, as well as DC. You might just want to ask your library if the have reciprocal agreements with nearby cities.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

My town's library has Kindle books but I believe you have to be a resident to get a library card. I believe anyone in MA can get a Boston Public Library card.
    Yes - this is true. You don't ever have to set foot in the library either. There's an electronic card for this very purpose. If I wanted to borrow an actual book, I'd need to get a different card. Having the Boston library card plus my town's library card greatly increases the number of books I can borrow.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast