Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default how many steps do you take per day?? (update #22)

so i got a fitbit a couple weeks ago..i really like it (i got the Aria scale too..love that as well!!). though wow - getting 10k steps per day is HARD for me! i typically average 7,500 steps per day. i may reach 10k in a day twice a week, but that's it..it's hard keep it up consistently!! there's a lady at work that averages 13k steps per day, and i'm just amazed!! if i do 10k one day (esp if i take the kids to the park to play), the next day i feel a bit tired. one time last week i managed to get 10k per day two days in a row (i took kids to the park twice - bc dd had to go potty) and the next day i just wanted to veg around...

dh averages 5k a day, but he works from home and pretty much just takes the kids to school and back and does few errands here & there. i can manage to get 10k just from walking around work on busy days (i have to walk across parking lots, up a few floors to cafeteria, across the buildings to get to labs etc), but days when i mostly sit all day at my desk (which i hate), it's more like 6k per day. i don't think iv'e ever done more than 10,500 steps per day in the past couple weeks.

anyway, this week i've been slammed with physical therapy appts and other stuff, but hopefully in few weeks it will get easier. i feel so lame though..on fitbit site there was that one ad that showed two guys competing and one of them had 20k and the other 21k... um, don't i feel lazy!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 07-15-2014 at 02:42 PM.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have a fitbit but haven't worn it in a few months. I work from home, too, and my kids get on the bus at our driveway...so I get very little walking done on average days unless I really plan it out. The terrible weather we had this winter on the East coast didn't help. I love the stair tracking feature, and I always hit my stair target, so at least I have that!

I need to start wearing the FB again. I'm nearly done with C25K (again) so my daily runs should help get me closer to 10,000.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

I typically get between 11-12 on non-workout days, but I will not sit down until I get 10,000. When I started (DH bought it for me in Feb.), I had some 8k days. Moved to 9k, then moved to 10k. Try setting your goal to just a bit higher than what you are typically getting - 8500 - maybe and then once that feels good you can go up. I do things like park further away when dropping off DS. The upper parking lot is also on high hill so it counts as 2 flights of steps when I walk back to my car because it is so steep!

DH typically gets 8,000 on noncardio workout days, but he makes up for it big time on weekends so that his weekly average is higher. He also gets into the 20ks on SOME weekends. I think this last one was 27,000 one day because he cut the grass/did a lot of yard work and we have a large lot. A couple of times a month he takes a long 10mile + run. The thing is he notices his steps are a lot less on the days he runs 10-12 mile run compared to the days he cuts the grass because his stride is longer so he is taking less steps. [ETA: DH sits most days, but he parks his car in the furthers area of the parking deck, walks up the stairs, plays with kids after work, etc. ]
    Last edited by specialp; 06-13-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: clarify - toddler distracting me

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

During the week, I get about 12,000 to 14,000 a day. Weekends are lower and closer to 7,000-8,000 a day. We stay home a lot on weekends.
    Kris

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I find that to get to 10,000 on a regular day I need to fit in either a run or a walk. Before school ended, I walked my DD to school and that was always good to get the day started with 3200 or so steps. Running an errand like Target or Costco always bumps up the steps too. I recently switched from a zip to a flex and I'm still not used to having to charge the flex regularly. I went to Disneyland yesterday and realized part way through the day that the battery was dead and my great day of steps wasn't being recorded. I was so mad at myself! That was easily a 20 K step day.

onyx8 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

12k usually

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

12-15K. But I have to do a 30-60 min walk during lunch to achieve that (I have TOMs at work and put them on and take a walk almost every day). If I don't go for a walk, I have to really focus to get to 10K. I have walked our hallway in our house to make it some days before bed. I don't wear it for eliptical or other cardio workouts.

My DD's kindergarten teacher did a challenge over Christmas break last year to go 50K steps in one 24 hour day. He and about a dozen people did it. They started walking at 4 am and finished just before midnight. They took lots of breaks and stopped for meals and snacks, but they did it.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, you are all getting tons of steps!! I got mine a year ago January and while I wasn't working, I got at least 7K/day and occasionally got 10K. One day I got a little over 13K and it was insane (we were on vacation, walking a ton). I can't imagine getting that many on a regular basis; that would be awesome!

I started working from home in Sept and plummeted to about 4K/day. On my days off, I get around 7K. I lift weights, so I don't get any extra steps on workout days (3x/week). Bummer!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

On my normal days running errands, doing stuff around the house, playing with kids I usually get 9,000-11,000. On days I workout (ie: run 3-5 miles) I get around 17,000-19,000. I've gotten above 20,000 steps a few times, but I really have to have an awesome run to get anywhere near that.
    Last edited by okinawama; 06-13-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Unfortunately I tend to have mostly a "desk job". I may occasionally have to run something next door or something like that but most of my day during the week is spent at my desk. When I first got my fitbit getting 5000 steps during the week was a real stretch. I work hard at it, but rarely get more than 6000 during the week. On the weekends now that the weather is nice I am doing much better at walking but hitting 10000 steps is a real accomplishment and not something I do regularly. Unfortunately during the winter my weekend step total was just as bad as my step total during the week.

I just started a c25k so if I stick to that it will really help my step totals, but I only run 3 days a week so I need to improve on other days. Unfortunately, sticking to an exercise plan long term has been a problem for me - especially since now I run with DS in the jogging stroller. Once winter hits I will need to find a new plan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast